Genetics; Neoplastic Syndromes, Hereditary; Urinary Tract; Urologic Neoplasms
1) Molecular characterization of sporadic and hereditary kidney cancer
2) Development of novel therapeutic strategies for Kidney cancer
3) Development of novel biomarkers to avoid overtreatment of small renal masses
4) Integration of molecular diagnostics and Genomics data to patient care
Extensive Research Description
1) Development of a Genitourinary Biorepository- currently we are establishing a GU cancer repository with well anotated clinical information. This will be a major resource for the Smilow Cancer center as any investigator wishing to perform translational research will have access to cancer tissue, urine, and blood samples.
2) Kidney Cancer Genetics Evaluation Program- This clinical program is focus on the identification of new kidney cancer syndromes. All patients are referred through the team for whole genome sequencing. We have a CLIA approved gene panel for kidney cancer. The other genes are for research purposes. Creation of cell lined and having available tissue will allow characterization of potential new germline cancer syndromes
3) Neoadjuvant RCC trials- We have submitted proposals CTEP and a company to do a neoadjuvant RCC trial in locally advanced clear cell RCC. The primary end point is to downsize primary tumors (using RECIST criteria). A secondary endpoint is making tumors ammenable to partial nephrectomy. Molecular correlates of response will be evaluated including baseline levels of pMET and pVEGFR.
4) Active surveillance RCC trial- we are creating a trial aimed at avoiding overtreatment of small tumors. We plan on opening this shortly and will use advanced genomic techniques for tumor characterization
5) African American Kidney cancer racial disparities- we are working with the Rapid Case Ascertainment program in Connecticut to get cases of papillary and clear cell RCC. We will collaborate with the genotyping core at the NCI to examine kidney disease risk variants on kidney cancer risk. Also a tissue microarray will be created to assess differences between Caucasian and African American clear cell and papillary RCC
- Shuch B, Hanley J, Lai J, Vourganti S, Kim SP, Setodji CM, Dick AW, Chow WH, Saigal C; Urologic Diseases in America Project. Overall survival advantage with partial nephrectomy: a bias of observational data? Cancer. 2013 Aug 15;119(16):2981-9 http://www.n
- Shuch B, Hanley JM, Lai JC, Vourganti S, Setodji CM, Dick AW, Chow WH, Saigal CS; The Urologic Diseases in America Project. Adverse Health Outcomes Associated with Surgical Management of the Small Renal Mass. J Urol. 2013 Sep 5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.g
- Yang Y, Lane AN, Ricketts CJ, Sourbier C, Wei MH, Shuch B, Pike L, Wu M, Rouault TA, Boros LG, Fan TW, Linehan WM. Metabolic reprogramming for producing energy and reducing power in fumarate hydratase null cells from hereditary leiomyomatosis renal cell c