Dr. Rinder's research interests primarily revolve around cellular coagulation and platelet physiology in two related areas. First, the laboratory investigates the biology of platelet activation and subsequent leukocyte-platelet adhesive interactions. Our laboratory has investigated the responsible receptor-ligand pairs, the adhesive alterations as a result of signal transduction, and differences in functional cell adhesion based on cell lineage and phenotype. This bench investigation has led the laboratory into studying the mechanisms of platelet and leukocyte activation during platelet storage and in the setting of extracorporeal circulation. During extracorporeal circulation, the complement system plays a major role in stimulating cellular events and this, in turn, has led to investigations of specific complement component blockade.
Our second area of interest has been the detection of that subset of platelets which is most recently released from the circulation ("reticulated platelets"), analogous to red cell reticulocytes. Enumeration of reticulated platelets has allowed our laboratory to explore platelet kinetic diagnostics in patients with different etiologies of thrombocytopenia, in patients with thrombotic disorders, and in those recovering from marrow injury. These studies have also led to bench studies of reticulated platelet function in order to discern the differential hemostatic potential of the youngest circulating platelets.
- Streimish I, Bizzarro M, Northrup V, Wang C, Renna S, Koval N, Li FY, Ehrenkranz R, Rinder HM, Bhandari V. Neutrophil CD64 is a diagnostic marker in neonatal sepsis. Pediatric Infect Dis J 2012;31(7):777-81
- Siddon AJ, Rinder HM. Pathology Consultation on Evaluating Prognosis in Incidental Monoclonal Lymphocytosis and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Am J Clin Pathol 2013;139:708-712.
- Siddon AJ, Torres R, Rinder HM, Smith BR, Howe JG, Tormey CA. Normalized cyclin D1 expression has prognostic value in mantle cell lymphoma. Brit J Haematol 2012;158(4):551-3
- Rinder HM, Grimes MM, Wagner J, Bennett BD. Senior Pathology Resident In-Service Examination (RISE) Scores Correlate with Outcomes of the American Board of Pathology (ABP) Certifying Examinations. Am J Clin Pathol 2011;136:499-506
- Hager K, Jennings K, Hosono S, Howell S, Gruen JR, Rivkees SA, Tartaglia N, Rinder HM. Molecular diagnostic testing for Klinefelter syndrome and other male sex chromosome aneuploides. Int J Ped Endo 2012; April 23(1):8-16.
- Hillman RS, Ault KA, Leporrier M, Rinder HM editors. Hematology in Clinical Practice, Fifth Ed. McGraw-Hill, New York 2011