Lung Neoplasms; Medical Oncology; Thoracic Neoplasms; Clinical Trials, Phase I as Topic; Biomarkers, Pharmacological; Individualized Medicine
Public Health Interests
Medical Oncology: Subset Medical Oncology Faculty
I am committed to maintaining Yale’s status as one of the world's top centers for cancer research and patient care, through innovative programs at the cutting edge of science and clinical practice. For example, we have a facility to investigate a patient's cancer at the molecular level giving us key molecular data that our oncologists use to pursue the most promising treatments for our patients as early as possible in the course of their disease.
I am the principal investigator for the innovative BATTLE clinical trial program for lung cancer, which uses molecular analysis of fresh tissue biopsies to help determine the best novel treatment in real time, and these results provide laboratory scientists the ability to explore and uncover potential resistance mechanisms in the clinic.
Specialized Terms: Early phase clinical trials; Biomarker studies; Personalized medicine for cancer treatment.
- Predictive correlates of response to the anti-PD-L1 antibody MPDL3280A in cancer patients Herbst RS, Soria JC, Kowanetz M, Fine GD, Hamid O, Gordon MS, Sosman JA, McDermott DF, Powderly JD, Gettinger SN, Kohrt HE, Horn L, Lawrence DP, Rost S, Leabman M, Xiao Y, Mokatrin A, Koeppen H, Hegde PS, Mellman I, Chen DS, Hodi FS. Nature. 2014 Nov 27; 515; 7528
- B7-H1/PD-1 blockade therapy in non-small cell lung cancer: current status and future direction. Gettinger S, Herbst RS. Cancer J. 2014 Jul-Aug;20(4):281-9.
- AACR celebrates 50 years of tobacco research and policy Herbst RS, Hobin JA, Gritz ER; Writing Committee for the AACR Subcommittee on Tobacco and Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Apr 1;20(7):1709-18.
- Multitargeted tyrosine kinase inhibitors in unselected patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): impressions from MONET (the motesanib NSCLC efficacy and tolerability study). Morgensztern D, Herbst RS. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Aug 10;30(23):2805-8. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2012.42.7260. Epub 2012 Jul 2.
- Targeting vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with squamous cell lung cancer. Koo PJ, Morgensztern D, Boyer JL, Herbst RS. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Apr 1;30(10):1137-9.
- EGFR expression and the flexibility of FLEX. Hirsch FR, Herbst RS. Lancet Oncol. 2012 Jan;13(1):3-5.
- Efficacy of bevacizumab plus erlotinib versus erlotinib alone in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer after failure of standard first-line chemotherapy (BeTa): a double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Herbst RS, Ansari R, Bustin F, Flynn P, Hart
- Methodological and practical challenges for personalized cancer therapies. Wistuba II, Gelovani JG, Jacoby JJ, Davis SE, Herbst RS. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2011 Mar;8(3):135-41. Review.
- Future directions of monoclonal antibody use in personalized lung cancer therapy. Chu CT, Jacoby JJ, Herbst RS. Oncology (Williston Park). 2010 Nov 30;24(13):1226-8.
- A first-in-human study of conatumumab in adult patients with advanced solid tumors. Herbst RS, Kurzrock R, Hong DS, Valdivieso M, Hsu CP, Goyal L, Juan G, Hwang YC, Wong S, Hill JS, Friberg G, LoRusso PM. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Dec 1;16(23):5883-91. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-0631. Epub 2010 Oct 14.