Sanjay Kulkarni MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery (Transplant) and of Medicine (Nephrology); Scientic Director, Yale Transplant Research Unit
Dr. Kulkarni is a multi-organ transplant surgeon and the Director of the Kidney and Pancreas transplant program at Yale University and Yale-New Haven Hospital. The clinical program has been the largest program in New England since 2008, in terms of new patients listed, number of living donor transplants and the total number of kidney transplants performed. Clinical higlights of the program include an accelerated work-up and listing process (AJKD 2012;60(2):288, Healthgrades Award for overall program performance 2010, and implementation of a total laproscopic kidney donation procedure.
As the scientific director of the Yale Transplant Research unit, Dr. Kulkarni has expanded clinical research with an emphasis on cross-departmental collaboration, with the overall goal of expanding investigator-initiated, industry-sponsored studies. The program currently has 11 different principal investigators and 20 different clincal research trials and projects. Every year, the research unit funds pilot research grants to support research at Yale for the development of new therapeatic targets applicable to transplant patients.
Dr. Kulkarni is principal investigator on numerous clinical research trials and projects. Current work includes an investigator-iniated study on complement inhibition in patients with chronic antibody mediated kidney injury, utilization on a novel low-pressure pneumoperitueam system to decrease pain in living donors and research that delves into how living donors percieve risk and how transplant centers can better utilize this information to increase donor automy.
Education & Training
- University of Wisconsin (1990)
- Medical College Wisconsin (1995)
- University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine (2002)
- University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, General Surgery (1996 - 2001)
- University Hospital Essen, Germany, Organ Transplantation (2004 - 2004)
- University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, Organ Transplantation (2002 - 2004)
- University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, General Surgery
- Chief Resident
- University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, General Surgery (2001 - 2002)
- Research Fellow
- University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, Section of Transplantation, Chicago (1997 - 1999)
- Research Fellow
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, Biochemistry (1988 - 1990)
- Member, AASLD (11/01/2013 - 11/01/2015)
- Chair, Data Subcommitte, UNOS (07/01/2013 - 07/01/2015)