Breast Neoplasms; Neoplasms; Social Class; Socioeconomic Factors; Epidemiologic Factors; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Minority Health; Health Status Disparities; Healthcare Disparities; Social Determinants of Health; Health Care
Public Health Interests
Cancer; Health Disparities; Obesity
Obesity Research Working Group
Dr. Jones is a cancer epidemiologist who works on health disparities. Her research is focused on racial/ethnic differences in the incidence, morbidity and mortality of cancer, particularly breast cancer. Using a multidisciplinary approach, she is evaluating the role(s) of tumor characteristics, selected genetic alterations and genetic polymorphisms, as well as social class, medical care, and psychosocial factors, in explaining the lower cancer survival of African Americans as compared with Whites. Additionally, she is researching the process of screening mammography and the racial/ethnic-specific factors that influence future screening and screening outcomes. Another area of her cancer prevention research includes a study of African American/White differences in the prevalence and correlates of high-risk breast density patterns.
Extensive Research Description
- Cancer Screening Behavior in Hispanic/Latinas Living in the Northeast United States
- Cancer Disparities
- Mammography Screening in African American and White women
- Racial / ethnic differences in tumor characteristics
- Race Differences and Breast Density
Neighborhood- and Individual-level Socioeconomic Variation in Perceptions of Racial Discrimination.
Dailey AL, Kasl SV, Lewis T, Holford T, Jones BA. Neighborhood- and Individual-level Socioeconomic Variation in Perceptions of Racial Discrimination. Ethn Health. 2010 Apr;15(2):145-63. PMID: 20407967
Glutathione S-Transferase Polymorphisms and Survival in African American and White Colorectal Patients.
Jones BA, Christensen A, Wise J, Yu H. Glutathione S-Transferase Polymorphisms and Survival in African American and White Colorectal Patients. Cancer Epidemiology. 2009; 33(3-4): 249-6. PMID: 19748847
Mammography screening of women in their 40s: impact of changes in screening guidelines.
Calvocoressi, L., Sun, A., Kasl, S.V., Claus, E.B., and Jones, B.A. Mammography Screening of Women in their 40s. Impact of Changes in Screening Guidelines. Cancer 112: 473-480, 2008
Explaining the race difference in prostate cancer stage at diagnosis.
Jones BA, Liu WL, Ararujo A, Kasl SV, Silvera SN, Soler-Vilá H, Curnen MCG, Dubrow R. Explaining the Race Difference in Prostate Cancer Stage at Diagnosis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 2008;17(10): 1-10.
Adequacy of Communicating Results from Screening Mammograms to African American and White Women.
Jones, B.A., Reams, K., Calvocoressi, L., Dailey, A., Kasl, S.V., and Liston, N.M. Adequacy of Communicating Results from Screening Mammograms to African American and White Women. American Journal of Public Health 97: 531-538, 2007
Neighborhood-level socioeconomic predictors of nonadherence to mammography screening guidelines.
Dailey, A., Kasl, S.V., Holford, T.R., Calvocoressi, L., and Jones, B.A. Neighborhood-level Socioeconomic Predictors of Non-adherence to Mammography Screening Guidelines. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 16(11): 2293-2303, 2007
Inadequate follow-up of abnormal screening mammograms: findings from the race differences in screening mammography process study (United States).
Jones BA, Dailey A, Calvocoressi L, Reams K, Kasl SV, Lee CH, Hsu H. Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Sep;16(7):809-21.
Cancer-specific Beliefs and Survival: A Population-based Study of African-American and White Breast Cancer Patients.
Soler-Vila, H., Kasl, S.V., and Jones, B.A. Cancer-specific Beliefs and Survival: A Population-based Study of African-American and White Breast Cancer Patients. Cancer Causes and Control 16(2): 105-114, 2005
African American/White Differences in Breast Cancer Tumors: p53 Alterations and Other Tumor Characteristics.
Jones, BA, Kasl SV, Howe CL, Lachman M, Dubrow R, Curnen MM, Soler-Vila H, Beeghly A, Duan F, Owens P. Cancer. 2004 Sep 15;101(6):1293-301.
Black/White Difference in Stage at Diagnosis of Breast Cancer: Severe Obesity as an Explanatory Factor.
Jones BA, Kasl SV, Curnen MGM, Owens PH, Dubrow R. Black/White Difference in Stage at Diagnosis of Breast Cancer: Severe Obesity as an Explanatory Factor. American Journal of Epidemiology 146:394-404, 1997. PMID: 9290499
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Layne TM, Aminawung JA, Soulos PR, Nunez-Smith M, Nunez MA, Jones BA, Wang KH, Gross CP: Quality Of Breast Cancer Care In The US Territories: Insights From Medicare. Health Aff (Millwood). 2018 Mar. PMID: 29505365
- Yeboa DN, Xu X, Jones BA, Soulos P, Gross C, Yu JB: Trend in Age and Racial Disparities in the Receipt of Postlumpectomy Radiation Therapy for Stage I Breast Cancer: 2004-2009. Am J Clin Oncol. 2016 Dec. PMID: 24879475
- Swede H, Sarwar A, Magge A, Braithwaite D, Cook LS, Gregorio DI, Jones BA, R Hoag J, Gonsalves L, L Salner A, Zarfos K, Andemariam B, Stevens RG, G Dugan A, Pensa M, A Brockmeyer J: Mortality risk from comorbidities independent of triple-negative breast cancer status: NCI-SEER-based cohort analysis. Cancer Causes Control. 2016 May; 2016 Mar 21. PMID: 27000206
- Swede H, Andemariam B, Gregorio DI, Jones BA, Braithwaite D, Rohan TE, Stevens RG: Adverse events in cancer patients with sickle cell trait or disease: case reports. Genet Med. 2015 Mar; 2014 Aug 21. PMID: 25144888
- Macintosh T, Desai MM, Lewis TT, Jones BA, Nunez-Smith M: Socially-assigned race, healthcare discrimination and preventive healthcare services. PLoS One. 2013; 2013 May 21. PMID: 23704992
- Knobf MT, Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Jones BA, Stevens D, Smith M, Salner A, Mowad L: Needs assessment of cancer survivors in Connecticut. J Cancer Surviv. 2012 Mar; 2011 Oct 9. PMID: 21984194
- Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Jones BA, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH: Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: results of a national survey of physicians. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Nov; 2009 Sep 1. PMID: 19727966
- Jones BA, Christensen AR, Wise JP Sr, Yu H: Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms and survival in African-American and white colorectal cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol. 2009 Oct; 2009 Sep 12. PMID: 19748847
- Jones BA, Liu WL, Araujo AB, Kasl SV, Silvera SN, Soler-Vilá H, Curnen MG, Dubrow R: Explaining the race difference in prostate cancer stage at diagnosis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Oct; 2008 Sep 30. PMID: 18829446
- Calvocoressi L, Sun A, Kasl SV, Claus EB, Jones BA: Mammography screening of women in their 40s: impact of changes in screening guidelines. Cancer. 2008 Feb 1. PMID: 18072258
- Dailey AB, Kasl SV, Holford TR, Jones BA: Perceived racial discrimination and nonadherence to screening mammography guidelines: results from the race differences in the screening mammography process study. Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Jun 1; 2007 Mar 10. PMID: 17351294
- Jones BA, Reams K, Calvocoressi L, Dailey A, Kasl SV, Liston NM: Adequacy of communicating results from screening mammograms to African American and White women. Am J Public Health. 2007 Mar; 2007 Jan 31. PMID: 17267723
- Calvocoressi L, Stolar M, Kasl SV, Claus EB, Jones BA: Applying recursive partitioning to a prospective study of factors associated with adherence to mammography screening guidelines. Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Dec 15; 2005 Oct 12. PMID: 16221800
- Jones BA, Dailey A, Calvocoressi L, Reams K, Kasl SV, Lee C, Hsu H: Inadequate follow-up of abnormal screening mammograms: findings from the race differences in screening mammography process study (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Sep. PMID: 16132791
- Soler-Vila H, Kasl SV, Jones BA: Cancer-specific beliefs and survival: a population-based study of African-American and White breast cancer patients. Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Mar. PMID: 15868452
- Calvocoressi L, Kasl SV, Lee CH, Stolar M, Claus EB, Jones BA: A prospective study of perceived susceptibility to breast cancer and nonadherence to mammography screening guidelines in African American and White women ages 40 to 79 years. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Dec. PMID: 15598767
- Jones BA, Kasl SV, Howe CL, Lachman M, Dubrow R, Curnen MM, Soler-Vila H, Beeghly A, Duan F, Owens P: African-American/White differences in breast carcinoma: p53 alterations and other tumor characteristics. Cancer. 2004 Sep 15. PMID: 15368321
- Soler-Vila H, Kasl SV, Jones BA: Prognostic significance of psychosocial factors in African-American and white breast cancer patients: a population-based study. Cancer. 2003 Sep 15. PMID: 12973855
- Jones BA, Patterson EA, Calvocoressi L: Mammography screening in African American women: evaluating the research. Cancer. 2003 Jan 1. PMID: 12491490
- Van Ness PH, Kasl SV, Jones BA: Religion, race, and breast cancer survival. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2003. PMID: 15152786
- Van Ness PH, Kasl SV, Jones BA: Are Religious Women More Likely to Have Breast Cancer Screening? J Relig Health. 2002 Winter. PMID: 23293394