Breast Neoplasms; Epidemiology; Meningioma; Neurosurgery; Statistics as Topic; Central Nervous System Neoplasms
Public Health Interests
Biostatistics; BRAC1; BRAC2; Breast cancer; Cancer Epidemiology; Genetic epidemiology; Glioma; Meningioma; Neuroepidemiology; Risk assessment; Statistical genetics
Dr. Claus works in cancer epidemiology and statistical genetics with emphasis on the development of risk models for breast and ovarian cancer and tumors of the central nervous system (CNS). She is principal investigator of a study of 2000 female Connecticut residents examining the clinical (including mammographic density), genetic, and epidemiologic characteristics of breast carcinoma in-situ (BCIS), and following these women over time to better define their long-term outcomes, including those with mutations in two breast cancer susceptibility genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2. Dr. Claus is a neurosurgeon working in neuro-oncologic surgery, including the intra-operative use of magnetic resonance therapy and computer guided imagery for brain tumor removal, including glioma and metastatic lesions to the CNS, particularly metastatic breast cancer. She has recently received funding from NIH to commence the first national study of meningioma. This multi-state project will enroll over 3000 subjects to define genetic and environmental risk factors for meingioma as well as identify pedigrees with multiple family members affected with meningioma. Dr. Claus is also co-investigator in the GLIOGENE project, an international effort to identify genes associated with glioma. More recently, Dr Claus has begun to partner with a number of national patient organizations (The Acoustic Neuroma Association and The American Brain Tumor Association) to develop patient-centered, web-based registries designed to enhance research and patient education efforts in the study of tumors of the central nervous system. In addition to her research activities,
Extensive Research Description
- The Yale Breast Study
- The DCIS and BRCA1/2 Cohort Study
- The Meningioma Consortium Project
- The Meningioma Family Study
- The Meningioma Genome-Wide Association Study
- GLIOGENE (Genes for Glioma)
- The International Glioma Case/Control Study (GICC)
- The Yale Acoustic Neuroma Study
- The International Low Grade Glioma Project
- Local control after fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastases Rajakesari S, Arvold ND, Jimenez RB, Christianson LW, Horvath MC, Claus EB, Golby AJ, Johnson MD, Dunn IF, Lee EQ, Lin NU, Friesen S, Mannarino EG, Wagar M, Hacker FL, Weiss SE, Alexander BM. Local control after fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastases. 2014, Nov;120(2):339-46. doi: 10.1007/s11060-014-1556-5. [PMID: 25059451]
- Effect of Gender on the Production of Autoantibodies to Meningioma Antigens. Wiemels J, Bracchi P, Schildkraut J, Wrensch M, Bondy M, Pfefferle J, Zhou M, Sison J, Calvocoressi L, Claus EB. Effect of Gender on the Production of Autoantibodies to Meningioma Antigens. Am J Epidemiol 2013;177:75-83
- Dental X-rays and Risk of Meningioma. Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M. Cancer. 2012 Sep 15;118(18):4530-7.
- Exogenous Hormone Use, Reproductive Factors and the Risk of Intra-Cranial Meningioma in Females. Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Wrensch M, Wiemels J, Schildkraut J. J Neurosurg 2012 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Insight in glioma susceptibility through an analysis of 6p22.3, 12p13.33-12.1, 17q22-23.2 and 18q23 SNP genotypes in familial and non-familial glioma. Liu Y1, Melin BS, Rajaraman P, Wang Z, Linet M, Shete S, Amos CI, Lau CC, Scheurer ME, Tsavachidis S, Armstrong GN, Houlston RS, Hosking FJ, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Lai R, Il'yasova D, Schildkraut J, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Bernstein JL, Olson SH, Jenkins RB, LaChance D, Vick NA, Wrensch M, Davis F, McCarthy BJ, Andersson U, Thompson PA, Chanock S; Gliogene Consortium, Bondy ML. (2012) Insight in glioma susceptibility through an analysis of 6p22.3, 12p13.33-12.1, 17q22-23.2 and 18q23 SNP genotypes in familial and non-familial glioma.
- Neurosurgical management of metastases in the central nervous System Claus EB. . Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2012; 9, 79–86; published online 6 December 2011
- Genome-wide high-density SNP linkage search for glioma susceptibility loci: results from the Gliogene Consortium. Shete S1, Lau CC, Houlston RS, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Lai R, Il'yasova D, Schildkraut J, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Bernstein JL, Olson SH, Jenkins RB, Yang P, Vick NA, Wrensch M, Davis FG, McCarthy BJ, Leung EH, Davis C, Cheng R, Hosking FJ, Armstrong GN, Liu Y, Yu RK, Henriksson R; Gliogene Consortium, Melin BS, Bondy ML. (2011) Genome-wide high-density SNP linkage search for glioma susceptibility loci: results from the Gliogene Consortium.
- Family and Personal Medical History and Risk of Meningioma. Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M. J Neurosurg 2011;115:1072-77
- Bone Morphogenetic Protein and Spinal Fusion: Utilization, Complications, and Costs. Cahill KS, Chi J, Day A, Claus EB: J Amer Med Assoc 2009:302:58-66
- Specific genes expressed in association with progesterone receptors in meningioma. Claus EB, Park PJ, Carroll R, Chan J, Black PM. Cancer Research 2008;68(1):314-22
- Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutations in Women Diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Claus, E.B., Petruzella, S., Matloff, E., and Carter, D. . J Amer Med Assoc 293(8): 964-969, 2005.
- Germline mutations in shelterin complex genes are associated with familial glioma. Bainbridge MN1, Armstrong GN1, Gramatges MM1, Bertuch AA1, Jhangiani SN1, Doddapaneni H1, Lewis L1, Tombrello J1, Tsavachidis S1, Liu Y1, Jalali A1, Plon SE1, Lau CC1, Parsons DW1, Claus EB1, Barnholtz-Sloan J1, Il'yasova D1, Schildkraut J1, Ali-Osman F1, Sadetzki S1, Johansen C1, Houlston RS1, Jenkins RB1, Lachance D1, Olson SH1, Bernstein JL1, Merrell RT1, Wrensch MR1, Walsh KM1, Davis FG1, Lai R1, Shete S1, Aldape K1, Amos CI1, Thompson PA1, Muzny DM1, Gibbs RA1, Melin BS1, Bondy ML1; Gliogene Consortium. (2014) Germline mutations in shelterin complex genes are associated with familial glioma.
- Clinical implementation of integrated whole- genome copy number and mutation profiling for glioblastoma Ramkissoon SH, Bi WL, Schumacher SE, Ramkissoon LA, Haidar S, Knoff D, Dubuc A, Brown L, Burns M, Cryan JB, Abedalthagafi M, Kang YJ, Schultz N, Reardon DA, Lee EQ, Rinne ML, Norden AD, Nayak L, Ruland S, Doherty LM, LaFrankie DC, Horvath M, Aizer AA, Russo A, Arvold ND, Claus EB, ….Alexander BM, Ligon KL. Neuro Oncol 2015 Mar 9. pii: nov015. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 25754088]. [PMCID: PMC Journal in Process].
- The Gliogene Consortium: A Report from the Glioma International Case-Control Study (GICC). Amirian ES, Armstrong GN, Zhou R, Lau CC, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Il'yasova D, Schildkraut J, Ali-Osman F, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Houlston RS, Jenkins RB, Lachance D, Olson SH, Bernstein JL, Merrell RT, Wrensch MR, Davis FG, Lai R, Shete S, Amos CI, Scheurer ME, Wiencke JK, Aldape K, Alazuffov I, Brännström T, Broholm H, Collins P, Giannini C, Rosenblum M, Tihan T, The Gliogene Consortium, Melin BS, and Bondy ML. Amer J Epidemiol (In press)
- Genetic analysis of breast cancer in the Cancer and Steroid Hormone Study Claus EB, Risch N, Thompson WD: . Am J Hum Genet 1991;48:232-242