Biopsy, Needle; Brain Neoplasms; Neoplasms; Nervous System Diseases; Neuroma, Acoustic; Neurosurgery; Diseases
Yale's neuro-oncology program puts together all of the components
critical to managing patients with brain tumors: comprehensive evaluation
and diagnosis, leading edge treatment options, thorough follow-up and
psychosocial support. Patients are welcome whether they are newly diagnosed
or have already received extensive treatment.
Calls from referring physicians, patients or their families are handled by an experienced clinical care coordinator. The coordinator ensures that appropriate appointments are made quickly. New patients with brain tumors are usually seen in the oncology clinic of the Yale Cancer Center within a couple of days. The care coordinator also acts as the patient's interface with the various medical specialists who are called into play in each treatment plan.
The patient is the focus of all of the diagnosis and treatment skills Yale's interdisciplinary team of specialists brings to the service. Neuro-oncology surgeons, radiation oncologists, neuroradiologists, medical oncologists, neurologists, neuropathologists and others meet weekly at a Tumor Board Conference to arrive at the most appropriate treatment plan for each individual. Because the Yale Cancer Center is an academic referral center, the teams of specialists have an opportunity to treat the rarest as well as the most common cancers. Because of the center's research and teaching mission, its practitioners are well acquainted with the most advanced treatment methods. Patients benefit from that knowledge and from specialized resources such as a dedicated neurological intensive care unit and the latest imaging technologies.
Specialized Terms: Neuro-oncology; Acoustic neuroma; Brain tumor; Stereotactic needle biopsy
New Methods for Direct Delivery of Chemotherapy for Treating Brain Tumors.
Sawyer A, Piepmeier J, Saltzman M: New Methods for Direct Delivery of Chemotherapy for Treating Brain Tumors. Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine,
Direct Intracerebral Delivery of Cintredekin Besudotox (IL13-PE38QQR) in Patients with Recurrent Malignant Glioma.
Kunwar S, Prados M, Chang S, Berger M, Lang F, Piepmeier J, Sampson J, Ram Z, Gutin P, Gibbons R, Aldape K, Croteau D, Sherman J, Puri R: Direct Intracerebral Delivery of Cintredekin Besudotox (IL13-PE38QQR) in Patients with Recurrent Malignant Glioma. J
Diffusion MRI in the early diagnosis of malignant glioma.
Baehring J, Bi L, Bannyhk S, Piepmeier J, Fulbright R: Diffusion MRI in the early diagnosis of malignant glioma. J. Neuro-oncology,
- Piepmeier J, Thaiyananthan, T, Ocal, E: Principles of Neurosurgical Therapy. Practice and Principles of Neuro-oncology, Baehring J Piepmeier J (eds), 2006
The interactions of polarographic measurements of oxygen tension and histological grade in human glioma.
Lally B, Knisely J, Piepmeier J: The interactions of polarographic measurements of oxygen tension and histological grade in human glioma. in press The Cancer Journal.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Clark VE, Harmancı AS, Bai H, Youngblood MW, Lee TI, Baranoski JF, Ercan-Sencicek AG, Abraham BJ, Weintraub AS, Hnisz D, Simon M, Krischek B, Erson-Omay EZ, Henegariu O, Carrión-Grant G, Mishra-Gorur K, Durán D, Goldmann JE, Schramm J, Goldbrunner R, Piepmeier JM, Vortmeyer AO, Günel JM, Bilgüvar K, Yasuno K, Young RA, Günel M: Recurrent somatic mutations in POLR2A define a distinct subset of meningiomas. Nat Genet. 2016 Oct; 2016 Aug 22. PMID: 27548314
- Han L, Kong DK, Zheng MQ, Murikinati S, Ma C, Yuan P, Li L, Tian D, Cai Q, Ye C, Holden D, Park JH, Gao X, Thomas JL, Grutzendler J, Carson RE, Huang Y, Piepmeier JM, Zhou J: Increased Nanoparticle Delivery to Brain Tumors by Autocatalytic Priming for Improved Treatment and Imaging. ACS Nano. 2016 Apr 26; 2016 Mar 16. PMID: 26967254
- Strohbehn G, Coman D, Han L, Ragheb RR, Fahmy TM, Huttner AJ, Hyder F, Piepmeier JM, Saltzman WM, Zhou J: Imaging the delivery of brain-penetrating PLGA nanoparticles in the brain using magnetic resonance. J Neurooncol. 2015 Feb; 2014 Nov 18. PMID: 25403507
- Zhou J, Patel TR, Sirianni RW, Strohbehn G, Zheng MQ, Duong N, Schafbauer T, Huttner AJ, Huang Y, Carson RE, Zhang Y, Sullivan DJ Jr, Piepmeier JM, Saltzman WM: Highly penetrative, drug-loaded nanocarriers improve treatment of glioblastoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jul 16; 2013 Jul 1. PMID: 23818631
- Clark VE, Erson-Omay EZ, Serin A, Yin J, Cotney J, Ozduman K, Avşar T, Li J, Murray PB, Henegariu O, Yilmaz S, Günel JM, Carrión-Grant G, Yilmaz B, Grady C, Tanrikulu B, Bakircioğlu M, Kaymakçalan H, Caglayan AO, Sencar L, Ceyhun E, Atik AF, Bayri Y, Bai H, Kolb LE, Hebert RM, Omay SB, Mishra-Gorur K, Choi M, Overton JD, Holland EC, Mane S, State MW, Bilgüvar K, Baehring JM, Gutin PH, Piepmeier JM, Vortmeyer A, Brennan CW, Pamir MN, Kiliç T, Lifton RP, Noonan JP, Yasuno K, Günel M: Genomic analysis of non-NF2 meningiomas reveals mutations in TRAF7, KLF4, AKT1, and SMO. Science. 2013 Mar 1; 2013 Jan 24. PMID: 23348505
- Omay SB, Piepmeier JM, Knisely JP: Low-grade gliomas: when and how to treat. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2012 Aug; 2012 Jun 7. PMID: 22794284
- Patel TR, Yu JB, Piepmeier JM: Role of neurosurgery and radiation therapy in the management of brain tumors. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2012 Aug; 2012 May 18. PMID: 22794282
- Patel T, Zhou J, Piepmeier JM, Saltzman WM: Polymeric nanoparticles for drug delivery to the central nervous system. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2012 May 15; 2011 Dec 20. PMID: 22210134
- Servat JJ, Williamson JE, Piepmeier J, Sinard J, Bernardino CR: Giant myofibroma of the orbit in an adult male. Orbit. 2012 Feb; 2011 Oct 18. PMID: 22007896
- Moliterno JA, Patel TR, Piepmeier JM: Neurosurgical approach. Cancer J. 2012 Jan-Feb. PMID: 22290253
- Zhou J, Liu J, Cheng CJ, Patel TR, Weller CE, Piepmeier JM, Jiang Z, Saltzman WM: Biodegradable poly(amine-co-ester) terpolymers for targeted gene delivery. Nat Mater. 2011 Dec 4; 2011 Dec 4. PMID: 22138789
- Sawyer AJ, Saucier-Sawyer JK, Booth CJ, Liu J, Patel T, Piepmeier JM, Saltzman WM: Convection-enhanced delivery of camptothecin-loaded polymer nanoparticles for treatment of intracranial tumors. Drug Deliv Transl Res. 2011 Feb 1. PMID: 21691426
- DiLuna ML, Two AM, Levy GH, Patel T, Huttner AJ, Duncan CC, Piepmeier JM: Primary, non-exophytic, optic nerve germ cell tumors. J Neurooncol. 2009 Dec; 2009 Jun 25. PMID: 19554263
- Baehring J, Hui P, Piepmeier J, Bannykh SI: Anaplastic oligoastrocytoma in Turcot syndrome. J Neurooncol. 2009 Nov; 2009 Jun 4. PMID: 19495563
- Piepmeier JM: Current concepts in the evaluation and management of WHO grade II gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2009 May; 2009 Apr 9. PMID: 19357953
- Moliterno JA, Sood S, Zambrano E, Kim JH, Piepmeier JM, Baehring JM: Intracranial benign fibrous histiocytomas: a case report and review. J Neurooncol. 2009 Apr; 2008 Nov 22. PMID: 19030779
- Ozduman K, Wollmann G, Piepmeier JM, van den Pol AN: Systemic vesicular stomatitis virus selectively destroys multifocal glioma and metastatic carcinoma in brain. J Neurosci. 2008 Feb 20. PMID: 18287505
- Baehring JM, Bi WL, Bannykh S, Piepmeier JM, Fulbright RK: Diffusion MRI in the early diagnosis of malignant glioma. J Neurooncol. 2007 Apr; 2006 Oct 7. PMID: 17029014
- Sawyer AJ, Piepmeier JM, Saltzman WM: New methods for direct delivery of chemotherapy for treating brain tumors. Yale J Biol Med. 2006 Dec. PMID: 17940624
- Lally BE, Rockwell S, Fischer DB, Collingridge DR, Piepmeier JM, Knisely JP: The interactions of polarographic measurements of oxygen tension and histological grade in human glioma. Cancer J. 2006 Nov-Dec. PMID: 17207315
- Baehring JM, Piepmeier J, Duncan C, Ogle E, Kim J, Liebsch N: Chondrosarcoma of the skull base. J Neurooncol. 2006 Jan. PMID: 16402277
- Kasowski HJ, Nahed BV, Piepmeier JM: Transcallosal transchoroidal approach to tumors of the third ventricle. Neurosurgery. 2005 Oct. PMID: 16234686
- Viapiano MS, Bi WL, Piepmeier J, Hockfield S, Matthews RT: Novel tumor-specific isoforms of BEHAB/brevican identified in human malignant gliomas. Cancer Res. 2005 Aug 1. PMID: 16061654
- Baehring J, Vives K, Duncan C, Piepmeier J, Bannykyh S: Tumors of the posterior third ventricle and pineal region: ependymoma and germinoma. J Neurooncol. 2004 Nov. PMID: 15674486
- Bannykh S, Piepmeier J, Baehring J: Melanocytoma. J Neurooncol. 2004 Oct. PMID: 15527105
- Cohen-Gadol AA, DiLuna ML, Bannykh SI, Piepmeier JM, Spencer DD: Non-enhancing de novo glioblastoma: report of two cases. Neurosurg Rev. 2004 Oct; 2004 Jul 28. PMID: 15449198
- Piepmeier J, Baehring JM: Surgical resection for patients with benign primary brain tumors and low grade gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2004 Aug-Sep. PMID: 15527080