Biochemistry; Biophysics; DNA Repair; Radiation Oncology; Homologous Recombination; DNA End-Joining Repair
Therapeutic Radiology: Radiobiology
Endogenous free radicals and environmental agents such as ionizing radiation induce DNA double-strand breaks. The repair of these breaks is crucial for the maintenance of genome stability. Two distinct pathways help eliminate DNA double-strand breaks. In homologous recombination, the repair of a broken DNA molecule requires an intact homologous duplex to direct the process. Alternatively, a pathway known as non-homologous DNA end joining (NHEJ) simply rejoins the ends of the broken DNA molecule. Our research efforts focus on delineating the mechanisms of these two DNA repair pathway.
Repair by homologous recombination
The recombinational repair of DNA double-strand breaks is mediated by a group of genes called the RAD52 epistasis group. In mammals, the efficiency of recombinational DNA repair is modulated by the tumour suppressors BRCA1 and BRCA2, providing compelling evidence that this repair pathway functions to suppress cancer formation. Importantly, recombinational DNA repair is also required for the removal of interstrand DNA crosslinks induced by bifunctional crosslinking agents, which are commonly used to treat various malignancies. In 1994, we identified the yeast Rad51 protein, a key member of the RAD52 group, as the recombinase that mediates the “homologous DNA pairing and strand exchange “reaction central to all recombination-dependent processes, including the repair of DNA double-strand breaks. This finding marked the beginning of studies on recombination enzymology in eukaryotic organisms and has created a much-needed experimental framework for dissecting the role of the other RAD52 group members in the recombination reaction.
Specialized Terms: Repair of DNA double-strand breaks; Repair by homologous recombination; Repair by DNA end-joining
Enhancement of RAD51 recombinase activity by the tumor suppressor PALB2.
Dray E, Etchin J, Wiese C, Saro D, Williams GJ, Hammel M, Yu X, Galkin VE, Liu D, Tsai MS, Sy SM, Schild D, Egelman E, Chen J, Sung P.Enhancement of RAD51 recombinase activity by the tumor suppressor PALB2. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010 Oct;17(10):1255-9.
Mechanism of the ATP-dependent DNA end-resection machinery from Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
Niu H, Chung WH, Zhu Z, Kwon Y, Zhao W, Chi P, Prakash R, Seong C, Liu D, Lu L, Ira G, Sung P.Mechanism of the ATP-dependent DNA end-resection machinery from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature. 2010 Sep 2;467(7311):108-11.
FANCI binds branched DNA and is mono-ubiquitinated by UBE2T-FANCL.
Longerich S, San Filippo J, Liu D, Sung P. FANCI binds branched DNA and is mono-ubiquitinated by UBE2T-FANCL. J Biol Chem. 2009 Jul 18.
Yeast Mph1 helicase dissociates Rad51-made D-loops: implications for crossover control in mitotic recombination.
Prakash R, Satory D, Dray E, Papusha A, Scheller J, Kramer W, Krejci L, Klein H, Haber JE, Sung P, Ira G. Yeast Mph1 helicase dissociates Rad51-made D-loops: implications for crossover control in mitotic recombination. Genes Dev. 2009 Jan 123(1):67-79.
A double Holliday junction dissolvasome comprising BLM, topoisomerase IIIalpha, and BLAP75.
Raynard, S., Bussen, W., and Sung, P. (2006). A double Holliday junction dissolvasome comprising BLM, topoisomerase IIIalpha, and BLAP75. J. Biol. Chem. 281:13861-13864.
Human meiotic recombinase Dmc1 promotes ATP-dependent homologous DNA strand exchange.
Sehorn, M.G., Sigurdsson, S., Bussen, W., Unger, V.M., and Sung, P. (2004). Human meiotic recombinase Dmc1 promotes ATP-dependent homologous DNA strand exchange. Nature 429:433-437.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Ma CJ, Kwon Y, Sung P, Greene EC: Human RAD52 interactions with replication protein A and the RAD51 presynaptic complex. J Biol Chem. 2017 Jul 14; 2017 May 27. PMID: 28551686
- Kwon Y, Sung P: Rad52, Maestro of Inverse Strand Exchange. Mol Cell. 2017 Jul 6. PMID: 28686872
- Lee JY, Steinfeld JB, Qi Z, Kwon Y, Sung P, Greene EC: Sequence imperfections and base triplet recognition by the Rad51/RecA family of recombinases. J Biol Chem. 2017 Jun 30; 2017 May 5. PMID: 28476890
- Adkins NL, Swygert SG, Kaur P, Niu H, Grigoryev SA, Sung P, Wang H, Peterson CL: Nucleosome-like, Single-stranded DNA (ssDNA)-Histone Octamer Complexes and the Implication for DNA Double Strand Break Repair. J Biol Chem. 2017 Mar 31; 2017 Feb 15. PMID: 28202543
- Miller AS, Daley JM, Pham NT, Niu H, Xue X, Ira G, Sung P: A novel role of the Dna2 translocase function in DNA break resection. Genes Dev. 2017 Mar 1; 2017 Mar 23. PMID: 28336516
- Ma CJ, Gibb B, Kwon Y, Sung P, Greene EC: Protein dynamics of human RPA and RAD51 on ssDNA during assembly and disassembly of the RAD51 filament. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017 Jan 25; 2016 Nov 29. PMID: 27903895
- Kwon Y, Daley JM, Sung P: Reconstituted System for the Examination of Repair DNA Synthesis in Homologous Recombination. Methods Enzymol. 2017; 2017 Apr 21. PMID: 28645374
- Xu J, Zhao L, Xu Y, Zhao W, Sung P, Wang HW: Cryo-EM structures of human RAD51 recombinase filaments during catalysis of DNA-strand exchange. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017 Jan; 2016 Dec 12. PMID: 27941862
- Bonner JN, Choi K, Xue X, Torres NP, Szakal B, Wei L, Wan B, Arter M, Matos J, Sung P, Brown GW, Branzei D, Zhao X: Smc5/6 Mediated Sumoylation of the Sgs1-Top3-Rmi1 Complex Promotes Removal of Recombination Intermediates. Cell Rep. 2016 Jul 12; 2016 Jun 30. PMID: 27373152
- Liang F, Longerich S, Miller AS, Tang C, Buzovetsky O, Xiong Y, Maranon DG, Wiese C, Kupfer GM, Sung P: Promotion of RAD51-Mediated Homologous DNA Pairing by the RAD51AP1-UAF1 Complex. Cell Rep. 2016 Jun 7; 2016 May 26. PMID: 27239033
- Chen X, Niu H, Yu Y, Wang J, Zhu S, Zhou J, Papusha A, Cui D, Pan X, Kwon Y, Sung P, Ira G: Enrichment of Cdk1-cyclins at DNA double-strand breaks stimulates Fun30 phosphorylation and DNA end resection. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016 Apr 7; 2016 Jan 21. PMID: 26801641
- Xue X, Papusha A, Choi K, Bonner JN, Kumar S, Niu H, Kaur H, Zheng XF, Donnianni RA, Lu L, Lichten M, Zhao X, Ira G, Sung P: Differential regulation of the anti-crossover and replication fork regression activities of Mph1 by Mte1. Genes Dev. 2016 Mar 15; 2016 Mar 10. PMID: 26966246
- Borgogno MV, Monti MR, Zhao W, Sung P, Argaraña CE, Pezza RJ: Tolerance of DNA Mismatches in Dmc1 Recombinase-mediated DNA Strand Exchange. J Biol Chem. 2016 Mar 4; 2015 Dec 26. PMID: 26709229
- Cassani C, Gobbini E, Wang W, Niu H, Clerici M, Sung P, Longhese MP: Tel1 and Rif2 Regulate MRX Functions in End-Tethering and Repair of DNA Double-Strand Breaks. PLoS Biol. 2016 Feb; 2016 Feb 22. PMID: 26901759
- Trego KS, Groesser T, Davalos AR, Parplys AC, Zhao W, Nelson MR, Hlaing A, Shih B, Rydberg B, Pluth JM, Tsai MS, Hoeijmakers JH, Sung P, Wiese C, Campisi J, Cooper PK: Non-catalytic Roles for XPG with BRCA1 and BRCA2 in Homologous Recombination and Genome Stability. Mol Cell. 2016 Feb 18; 2016 Jan 28. PMID: 26833090
- Daley JM, Sung P: To Cut or Not to Cut: Discovery of a Novel Regulator of DNA Break Resection. Mol Cell. 2016 Feb 4. PMID: 26849190
- Niu H, Potenski CJ, Epshtein A, Sung P, Klein HL: Roles of DNA helicases and Exo1 in the avoidance of mutations induced by Top1-mediated cleavage at ribonucleotides in DNA. Cell Cycle. 2016; 2015 Dec 30. PMID: 26716562
- Parplys AC, Zhao W, Sharma N, Groesser T, Liang F, Maranon DG, Leung SG, Grundt K, Dray E, Idate R, Østvold AC, Schild D, Sung P, Wiese C: NUCKS1 is a novel RAD51AP1 paralog important for homologous recombination and genome stability. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 Nov 16; 2015 Aug 31. PMID: 26323318
- Xue X, Sung P, Zhao X: Functions and regulation of the multitasking FANCM family of DNA motor proteins. Genes Dev. 2015 Sep 1. PMID: 26341555
- Lee JY, Terakawa T, Qi Z, Steinfeld JB, Redding S, Kwon Y, Gaines WA, Zhao W, Sung P, Greene EC: DNA RECOMBINATION. Base triplet stepping by the Rad51/RecA family of recombinases. Science. 2015 Aug 28. PMID: 26315438
- Daley JM, Niu H, Miller AS, Sung P: Biochemical mechanism of DSB end resection and its regulation. DNA Repair (Amst). 2015 Aug; 2015 May 1. PMID: 25956866
- Gaines WA, Godin SK, Kabbinavar FF, Rao T, VanDemark AP, Sung P, Bernstein KA: Promotion of presynaptic filament assembly by the ensemble of S. cerevisiae Rad51 paralogues with Rad52. Nat Commun. 2015 Jul 28; 2015 Jul 28. PMID: 26215801
- Krasner DS, Daley JM, Sung P, Niu H: Interplay between Ku and Replication Protein A in the Restriction of Exo1-mediated DNA Break End Resection. J Biol Chem. 2015 Jul 24; 2015 Jun 11. PMID: 26067273
- Zhao W, Vaithiyalingam S, San Filippo J, Maranon DG, Jimenez-Sainz J, Fontenay GV, Kwon Y, Leung SG, Lu L, Jensen RB, Chazin WJ, Wiese C, Sung P: Promotion of BRCA2-Dependent Homologous Recombination by DSS1 via RPA Targeting and DNA Mimicry. Mol Cell. 2015 Jul 16; 2015 Jul 2. PMID: 26145171
- Thierry S, Benleulmi MS, Sinzelle L, Thierry E, Calmels C, Chaignepain S, Waffo-Teguo P, Merillon JM, Budke B, Pasquet JM, Litvak S, Ciuffi A, Sung P, Connell P, Hauber I, Hauber J, Andreola ML, Delelis O, Parissi V: Dual and Opposite Effects of hRAD51 Chemical Modulation on HIV-1 Integration. Chem Biol. 2015 Jun 18; 2015 Jun 4. PMID: 26051216
- Puddu F, Oelschlaegel T, Guerini I, Geisler NJ, Niu H, Herzog M, Salguero I, Ochoa-Montaño B, Viré E, Sung P, Adams DJ, Keane TM, Jackson SP: Synthetic viability genomic screening defines Sae2 function in DNA repair. EMBO J. 2015 Jun 3; 2015 Apr 21. PMID: 25899817
- Qiu Y, Niu H, Vukovic L, Sung P, Myong S: Molecular mechanism of resolving trinucleotide repeat hairpin by helicases. Structure. 2015 Jun 2; 2015 May 21. PMID: 26004439
- Xue X, Choi K, Bonner JN, Szakal B, Chen YH, Papusha A, Saro D, Niu H, Ira G, Branzei D, Sung P, Zhao X: Selective modulation of the functions of a conserved DNA motor by a histone fold complex. Genes Dev. 2015 May 15; 2015 May 8. PMID: 25956905
- Zhao W, Sung P: Significance of ligand interactions involving Hop2-Mnd1 and the RAD51 and DMC1 recombinases in homologous DNA repair and XX ovarian dysgenesis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 Apr 30; 2015 Mar 27. PMID: 25820426
- Qi Z, Redding S, Lee JY, Gibb B, Kwon Y, Niu H, Gaines WA, Sung P, Greene EC: DNA sequence alignment by microhomology sampling during homologous recombination. Cell. 2015 Feb 26; 2015 Feb 12. PMID: 25684365
- Zhao Q, Xue X, Longerich S, Sung P, Xiong Y: Structural insights into 5' flap DNA unwinding and incision by the human FAN1 dimer. Nat Commun. 2014 Dec 11; 2014 Dec 11. PMID: 25500724
- Xue X, Choi K, Bonner J, Chiba T, Kwon Y, Xu Y, Sanchez H, Wyman C, Niu H, Zhao X, Sung P: Restriction of replication fork regression activities by a conserved SMC complex. Mol Cell. 2014 Nov 6; 2014 Oct 16. PMID: 25439736
- Sjolund A, Nemec AA, Paquet N, Prakash A, Sung P, Doublié S, Sweasy JB: A germline polymorphism of thymine DNA glycosylase induces genomic instability and cellular transformation. PLoS Genet. 2014 Nov; 2014 Nov 6. PMID: 25375110
- Longerich S, Li J, Xiong Y, Sung P, Kupfer GM: Stress and DNA repair biology of the Fanconi anemia pathway. Blood. 2014 Oct 30; 2014 Sep 18. PMID: 25237197
- Gibb B, Ye LF, Kwon Y, Niu H, Sung P, Greene EC: Protein dynamics during presynaptic-complex assembly on individual single-stranded DNA molecules. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014 Oct; 2014 Sep 7. PMID: 25195049
- Chen X, Wilson JB, McChesney P, Williams SA, Kwon Y, Longerich S, Marriott AS, Sung P, Jones NJ, Kupfer GM: The Fanconi anemia proteins FANCD2 and FANCJ interact and regulate each other's chromatin localization. J Biol Chem. 2014 Sep 12; 2014 Jul 28. PMID: 25070891
- Daley JM, Gaines WA, Kwon Y, Sung P: Regulation of DNA pairing in homologous recombination. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2014 Sep 4; 2014 Sep 4. PMID: 25190078
- Potenski CJ, Niu H, Sung P, Klein HL: Avoidance of ribonucleotide-induced mutations by RNase H2 and Srs2-Exo1 mechanisms. Nature. 2014 Jul 10; 2014 Jun 1. PMID: 24896181
- Hwang H, Kreig A, Calvert J, Lormand J, Kwon Y, Daley JM, Sung P, Opresko PL, Myong S: Telomeric overhang length determines structural dynamics and accessibility to telomerase and ALT-associated proteins. Structure. 2014 Jun 10; 2014 May 15. PMID: 24836024
- Moktan H, Guiraldelli MF, Eyster CA, Zhao W, Lee CY, Mather T, Camerini-Otero RD, Sung P, Zhou DH, Pezza RJ: Solution structure and DNA-binding properties of the winged helix domain of the meiotic recombination HOP2 protein. J Biol Chem. 2014 May 23; 2014 Apr 6. PMID: 24711446
- Longerich S, Kwon Y, Tsai MS, Hlaing AS, Kupfer GM, Sung P: Regulation of FANCD2 and FANCI monoubiquitination by their interaction and by DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 May; 2014 Mar 12. PMID: 24623813
- Daley JM, Sung P: 53BP1, BRCA1, and the choice between recombination and end joining at DNA double-strand breaks. Mol Cell Biol. 2014 Apr; 2014 Jan 27. PMID: 24469398
- Lamb KL, Liu Y, Ishiguro K, Kwon Y, Paquet N, Sartorelli AC, Sung P, Rockwell S, Sweasy JB: Tumor-associated mutations in O⁶ -methylguanine DNA-methyltransferase (MGMT) reduce DNA repair functionality. Mol Carcinog. 2014 Mar; 2012 Oct 12. PMID: 23065697
- Buisson R, Niraj J, Pauty J, Maity R, Zhao W, Coulombe Y, Sung P, Masson JY: Breast cancer proteins PALB2 and BRCA2 stimulate polymerase η in recombination-associated DNA synthesis at blocked replication forks. Cell Rep. 2014 Feb 13; 2014 Jan 30. PMID: 24485656
- Gibb B, Ye LF, Gergoudis SC, Kwon Y, Niu H, Sung P, Greene EC: Concentration-dependent exchange of replication protein A on single-stranded DNA revealed by single-molecule imaging. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Feb 3. PMID: 24498402
- Zhao Q, Saro D, Sachpatzidis A, Singh TR, Schlingman D, Zheng XF, Mack A, Tsai MS, Mochrie S, Regan L, Meetei AR, Sung P, Xiong Y: The MHF complex senses branched DNA by binding a pair of crossover DNA duplexes. Nat Commun. 2014. PMID: 24390579
- Daley JM, Chiba T, Xue X, Niu H, Sung P: Multifaceted role of the Topo IIIα-RMI1-RMI2 complex and DNA2 in the BLM-dependent pathway of DNA break end resection. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014; 2014 Sep 8. PMID: 25200081
- Zhao W, Saro D, Hammel M, Kwon Y, Xu Y, Rambo RP, Williams GJ, Chi P, Lu L, Pezza RJ, Camerini-Otero RD, Tainer JA, Wang HW, Sung P: Mechanistic insights into the role of Hop2-Mnd1 in meiotic homologous DNA pairing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Jan; 2013 Oct 22. PMID: 24150939
- Liu Y, Gaines WA, Callender T, Busygina V, Oke A, Sung P, Fung JC, Hollingsworth NM: Down-regulation of Rad51 activity during meiosis in yeast prevents competition with Dmc1 for repair of double-strand breaks. PLoS Genet. 2014 Jan; 2014 Jan 23. PMID: 24465215
- Daley JM, Kwon Y, Niu H, Sung P: Investigations of homologous recombination pathways and their regulation. Yale J Biol Med. 2013 Dec 13; 2013 Dec 13. PMID: 24348209
- Busygina V, Gaines WA, Xu Y, Kwon Y, Williams GJ, Lin SW, Chang HY, Chi P, Wang HW, Sung P: Functional attributes of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiotic recombinase Dmc1. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013 Sep; 2013 Jun 12. PMID: 23769192
- Xue X, Raynard S, Busygina V, Singh AK, Sung P: Role of replication protein A in double holliday junction dissolution mediated by the BLM-Topo IIIα-RMI1-RMI2 protein complex. J Biol Chem. 2013 May 17; 2013 Mar 30. PMID: 23543748
- Daley JM, Sung P: RIF1 in DNA break repair pathway choice. Mol Cell. 2013 Mar 7. PMID: 23473603
- Daley JM, Niu H, Sung P: Roles of DNA helicases in the mediation and regulation of homologous recombination. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013. PMID: 23161012
- Hansen JE, Chan G, Liu Y, Hegan DC, Dalal S, Dray E, Kwon Y, Xu Y, Xu X, Peterson-Roth E, Geiger E, Liu Y, Gera J, Sweasy JB, Sung P, Rockwell S, Nishimura RN, Weisbart RH, Glazer PM: Targeting cancer with a lupus autoantibody. Sci Transl Med. 2012 Oct 24. PMID: 23100628
- Dunlop MH, Dray E, Zhao W, San Filippo J, Tsai MS, Leung SG, Schild D, Wiese C, Sung P: Mechanistic insights into RAD51-associated protein 1 (RAD51AP1) action in homologous DNA repair. J Biol Chem. 2012 Apr 6; 2012 Feb 27. PMID: 22375013
- Busygina V, Saro D, Williams G, Leung WK, Say AF, Sehorn MG, Sung P, Tsubouchi H: Novel attributes of Hed1 affect dynamics and activity of the Rad51 presynaptic filament during meiotic recombination. J Biol Chem. 2012 Jan 6; 2011 Nov 24. PMID: 22115747
- Dunlop MH, Dray E, Zhao W, Tsai MS, Wiese C, Schild D, Sung P: RAD51-associated protein 1 (RAD51AP1) interacts with the meiotic recombinase DMC1 through a conserved motif. J Biol Chem. 2011 Oct 28; 2011 Sep 8. PMID: 21903585
- Zheng XF, Prakash R, Saro D, Longerich S, Niu H, Sung P: Processing of DNA structures via DNA unwinding and branch migration by the S. cerevisiae Mph1 protein. DNA Repair (Amst). 2011 Oct 10; 2011 Aug 30. PMID: 21880555
- Longerich S, Sung P: Clearance of roadblocks in replication fork restart. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Aug 23; 2011 Aug 8. PMID: 21825169
- Chi P, Kwon Y, Visnapuu ML, Lam I, Santa Maria SR, Zheng X, Epshtein A, Greene EC, Sung P, Klein HL: Analyses of the yeast Rad51 recombinase A265V mutant reveal different in vivo roles of Swi2-like factors. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011 Aug; 2011 May 9. PMID: 21558173
- Williams SA, Longerich S, Sung P, Vaziri C, Kupfer GM: The E3 ubiquitin ligase RAD18 regulates ubiquitylation and chromatin loading of FANCD2 and FANCI. Blood. 2011 May 12; 2011 Feb 25. PMID: 21355096
- Dray E, Dunlop MH, Kauppi L, San Filippo J, Wiese C, Tsai MS, Begovic S, Schild D, Jasin M, Keeney S, Sung P: Molecular basis for enhancement of the meiotic DMC1 recombinase by RAD51 associated protein 1 (RAD51AP1). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Mar 1; 2011 Feb 9. PMID: 21307306
- Kwon Y, Zhao W, Sung P: Biochemical studies on human Rad51-mediated homologous recombination. Methods Mol Biol. 2011. PMID: 21660708
- Dray E, Etchin J, Wiese C, Saro D, Williams GJ, Hammel M, Yu X, Galkin VE, Liu D, Tsai MS, Sy SM, Schild D, Egelman E, Chen J, Sung P: Enhancement of RAD51 recombinase activity by the tumor suppressor PALB2. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010 Oct; 2010 Sep 26. PMID: 20871616
- Niu H, Chung WH, Zhu Z, Kwon Y, Zhao W, Chi P, Prakash R, Seong C, Liu D, Lu L, Ira G, Sung P: Mechanism of the ATP-dependent DNA end-resection machinery from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature. 2010 Sep 2. PMID: 20811460
- Colavito S, Prakash R, Sung P: Promotion and regulation of homologous recombination by DNA helicases. Methods. 2010 Jul; 2010 Feb 13. PMID: 20156560
- Shi I, Hallwyl SC, Seong C, Mortensen U, Rothstein R, Sung P: Role of the Rad52 amino-terminal DNA binding activity in DNA strand capture in homologous recombination. J Biol Chem. 2009 Nov 27; 2009 Oct 6. PMID: 19812039
- Colavito S, Macris-Kiss M, Seong C, Gleeson O, Greene EC, Klein HL, Krejci L, Sung P: Functional significance of the Rad51-Srs2 complex in Rad51 presynaptic filament disruption. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 Nov; 2009 Sep 10. PMID: 19745052
- Seong C, Colavito S, Kwon Y, Sung P, Krejci L: Regulation of Rad51 recombinase presynaptic filament assembly via interactions with the Rad52 mediator and the Srs2 anti-recombinase. J Biol Chem. 2009 Sep 4; 2009 Jul 15. PMID: 19605344
- Longerich S, San Filippo J, Liu D, Sung P: FANCI binds branched DNA and is monoubiquitinated by UBE2T-FANCL. J Biol Chem. 2009 Aug 28; 2009 Jul 8. PMID: 19589784
- Niu H, Raynard S, Sung P: Multiplicity of DNA end resection machineries in chromosome break repair. Genes Dev. 2009 Jul 1. PMID: 19571177
- Chi P, Kwon Y, Moses DN, Seong C, Sehorn MG, Singh AK, Tsubouchi H, Greene EC, Klein HL, Sung P: Functional interactions of meiotic recombination factors Rdh54 and Dmc1. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009 Feb 1; 2008 Dec 9. PMID: 19028606
- Raynard S, Sung P: Assay for human Rad51-mediated DNA displacement loop formation. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2009 Jan. PMID: 20147015
- Prakash R, Satory D, Dray E, Papusha A, Scheller J, Kramer W, Krejci L, Klein H, Haber JE, Sung P, Ira G: Yeast Mph1 helicase dissociates Rad51-made D-loops: implications for crossover control in mitotic recombination. Genes Dev. 2009 Jan 1. PMID: 19136626
- Raynard S, Niu H, Sung P: DNA double-strand break processing: the beginning of the end. Genes Dev. 2008 Nov 1. PMID: 18981468
- Raynard S, Zhao W, Bussen W, Lu L, Ding YY, Busygina V, Meetei AR, Sung P: Functional role of BLAP75 in BLM-topoisomerase IIIalpha-dependent holliday junction processing. J Biol Chem. 2008 Jun 6; 2008 Apr 4. PMID: 18390547
- Seong C, Sehorn MG, Plate I, Shi I, Song B, Chi P, Mortensen U, Sung P, Krejci L: Molecular anatomy of the recombination mediator function of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rad52. J Biol Chem. 2008 May 2; 2008 Feb 29. PMID: 18310075
- Kwon Y, Seong C, Chi P, Greene EC, Klein H, Sung P: ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling by the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologous recombination factor Rdh54. J Biol Chem. 2008 Apr 18; 2008 Feb 20. PMID: 18292093
- Busygina V, Sehorn MG, Shi IY, Tsubouchi H, Roeder GS, Sung P: Hed1 regulates Rad51-mediated recombination via a novel mechanism. Genes Dev. 2008 Mar 15. PMID: 18347097
- San Filippo J, Sung P, Klein H: Mechanism of eukaryotic homologous recombination. Annu Rev Biochem. 2008. PMID: 18275380
- Xie Y, Kerscher O, Kroetz MB, McConchie HF, Sung P, Hochstrasser M: The yeast Hex3.Slx8 heterodimer is a ubiquitin ligase stimulated by substrate sumoylation. J Biol Chem. 2007 Nov 23; 2007 Sep 11. PMID: 17848550
- Bussen W, Raynard S, Busygina V, Singh AK, Sung P: Holliday junction processing activity of the BLM-Topo IIIalpha-BLAP75 complex. J Biol Chem. 2007 Oct 26; 2007 Aug 28. PMID: 17728255
- Kwon Y, Chi P, Roh DH, Klein H, Sung P: Synergistic action of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologous recombination factors Rad54 and Rad51 in chromatin remodeling. DNA Repair (Amst). 2007 Oct 1; 2007 Jun 4. PMID: 17544928
- Chi P, San Filippo J, Sehorn MG, Petukhova GV, Sung P: Bipartite stimulatory action of the Hop2-Mnd1 complex on the Rad51 recombinase. Genes Dev. 2007 Jul 15. PMID: 17639080
- Sung P, Klein H: Mechanism of homologous recombination: mediators and helicases take on regulatory functions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2006 Oct; 2006 Aug 23. PMID: 16926856
- Chi P, Kwon Y, Seong C, Epshtein A, Lam I, Sung P, Klein HL: Yeast recombination factor Rdh54 functionally interacts with the Rad51 recombinase and catalyzes Rad51 removal from DNA. J Biol Chem. 2006 Sep 8; 2006 Jul 10. PMID: 16831867
- Raynard S, Bussen W, Sung P: A double Holliday junction dissolvasome comprising BLM, topoisomerase IIIalpha, and BLAP75. J Biol Chem. 2006 May 19; 2006 Apr 4. PMID: 16595695
- San Filippo J, Chi P, Sehorn MG, Etchin J, Krejci L, Sung P: Recombination mediator and Rad51 targeting activities of a human BRCA2 polypeptide. J Biol Chem. 2006 Apr 28; 2006 Mar 2. PMID: 16513631
- Chi P, Van Komen S, Sehorn MG, Sigurdsson S, Sung P: Roles of ATP binding and ATP hydrolysis in human Rad51 recombinase function. DNA Repair (Amst). 2006 Mar 7; 2006 Jan 4. PMID: 16388992
- Macris MA, Krejci L, Bussen W, Shimamoto A, Sung P: Biochemical characterization of the RECQ4 protein, mutated in Rothmund-Thomson syndrome. DNA Repair (Amst). 2006 Feb 3; 2005 Oct 7. PMID: 16214424
- Van Komen S, Macris M, Sehorn MG, Sung P: Purification and assays of Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologous recombination proteins. Methods Enzymol. 2006. PMID: 16793386
- Prakash R, Krejci L, Van Komen S, Anke Schürer K, Kramer W, Sung P: Saccharomyces cerevisiae MPH1 gene, required for homologous recombination-mediated mutation avoidance, encodes a 3' to 5' DNA helicase. J Biol Chem. 2005 Mar 4; 2005 Jan 4. PMID: 15634678
- Sehorn MG, Sung P: Meiotic recombination: an affair of two recombinases. Cell Cycle. 2004 Nov; 2004 Nov 20. PMID: 15547324
- Krejci L, Macris M, Li Y, Van Komen S, Villemain J, Ellenberger T, Klein H, Sung P: Role of ATP hydrolysis in the antirecombinase function of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Srs2 protein. J Biol Chem. 2004 May 28; 2004 Mar 27. PMID: 15047689
- Sehorn MG, Sigurdsson S, Bussen W, Unger VM, Sung P: Human meiotic recombinase Dmc1 promotes ATP-dependent homologous DNA strand exchange. Nature. 2004 May 27. PMID: 15164066
- Sung P, Krejci L, Van Komen S, Sehorn MG: Rad51 recombinase and recombination mediators. J Biol Chem. 2003 Oct 31; 2003 Aug 11. PMID: 12912992