Dermatology; Immunotherapy; Skin Diseases; T-Lymphocytes; Lymphoma, T-Cell, Cutaneous
Cutaneous T cell lymphoma is the most common malignancy of lymphocytes in adults. Our group studies the basic biology of the malignant cells of CTCL and relates cellular properties to the clinical course of the disease. We have developed an active immunotherapy program, a biological modifier system approved as a standard treatment for advanced CTCL by the FDA and now used in over 100 therapy centers worldwide. This treatment, known as "photopheresis" has been recently shown by us to work through a mechanism of increasing immunogenicity of class I associated tumor specific peptides including those derived from the clone specific T cell receptors. We are investigating means of increasing the expression of these peptide antigens and characterizing the cytotoxic T cell response against them.
Specialized Terms: Cutaneous T cell lymphoma (CTCL); Human T cell physiology; Immunobiology of normal and diseased skin
Extensive Research Description
Under the leadership of Dr. Edelson CTCL cells have been characterized and new and effective therapies developed. CTCL was found to be a cancer of "cutaneous T cells," which migrate to and infiltrate the skin. Dr. Edelson and his colleagues have developed an immunotherapy known as "Photopheresis," which is FDA approved and used to treat CTCL and other T cell mediated diseases in more than 100 centers worldwide.
FDGPET/ CT in the Evaluation of Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma
Kuo PH, McClennan BL, Carlson K, Wilson LD, Edelson RL, Heald PW, Girardi M. FDGPET/ CT in the Evaluation of Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma. Mol Imaging Biol 10.1007/s11307- 007-1027-y. 2007.
- Cancer Immunotherapy Berger CL, Shofner J, Vasquez JG, Mariwalla K, Edelson RL. Cancer Immunotherapy. Cancer Therapy 4:81-98, 2006.
Langerhans cells: Mediators of immunity and tolerance
Berger CL, Vasquez JG, Shofner J, Mariwalla K, Edelson RL. Langerhans cells: Mediators of immunity and tolerance. Int J Biochemistry & Cell Biol 38:1632-1636, 2006.
Transimmunization for cutaneous T cell lymphoma: a Phase I study
Girardi M, Berger CL, Wilson LD, Christensen IR, Thompson KR, Glusac EJ, Edelson RL. Transimmunization for cutaneous T cell lymphoma: a Phase I study. Leuk Lymph 47:1495-1503, 2006.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Kim S, Edelson RL, Sumpio B, Kwei S, Narayan D: A Unique Case of Allogeneic Fat Grafting Between Brothers. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016 Sep 16; 2016 Sep 16. PMID: 27757347
- Edelson RL: Partnering with skin to outsmart cancer: following leads provided by tumor-specific T cells. Semin Oncol. 2016 Jun; 2016 Feb 23. PMID: 27178683
- Hong E, Usiskin IM, Bergamaschi C, Hanlon DJ, Edelson RL, Justesen S, Pavlakis GN, Flavell RA, Fahmy TM: Configuration-dependent Presentation of Multivalent IL-15:IL-15Rα Enhances the Antigen-specific T Cell Response and Anti-tumor Immunity. J Biol Chem. 2016 Apr 22; 2015 Dec 30. PMID: 26719339
- Choi J, Goh G, Walradt T, Hong BS, Bunick CG, Chen K, Bjornson RD, Maman Y, Wang T, Tordoff J, Carlson K, Overton JD, Liu KJ, Lewis JM, Devine L, Barbarotta L, Foss FM, Subtil A, Vonderheid EC, Edelson RL, Schatz DG, Boggon TJ, Girardi M, Lifton RP: Genomic landscape of cutaneous T cell lymphoma. Nat Genet. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jul 20. PMID: 26192916
- Saluja SS, Hanlon DJ, Sharp FA, Hong E, Khalil D, Robinson E, Tigelaar R, Fahmy TM, Edelson RL: Targeting human dendritic cells via DEC-205 using PLGA nanoparticles leads to enhanced cross-presentation of a melanoma-associated antigen. Int J Nanomedicine. 2014 Nov 12; 2014 Nov 12. PMID: 25419128
- Durazzo TS, Tigelaar RE, Filler R, Hayday A, Girardi M, Edelson RL: Induction of monocyte-to-dendritic cell maturation by extracorporeal photochemotherapy: initiation via direct platelet signaling. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Jun; 2013 Nov 28. PMID: 24360371
- Futterleib JS, Feng H, Tigelaar RE, Choi J, Edelson RL: Activation of GILZ gene by photoactivated 8-methoxypsoralen: potential role of immunoregulatory dendritic cells in extracorporeal photochemotherapy. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Jun; 2013 Oct 24. PMID: 24215840
- Edelson RL: Mechanistic insights into extracorporeal photochemotherapy: efficient induction of monocyte-to-dendritic cell maturation. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Jun; 2013 Aug 8. PMID: 23978554
- Prasad S, Cody V, Saucier-Sawyer JK, Fadel TR, Edelson RL, Birchall MA, Hanlon DJ: Optimization of stability, encapsulation, release, and cross-priming of tumor antigen-containing PLGA nanoparticles. Pharm Res. 2012 Sep; 2012 Jul 14. PMID: 22798259
- Lin WM, Lewis JM, Filler RB, Modi BG, Carlson KR, Reddy S, Thornberg A, Saksena G, Umlauf S, Oberholzer PA, Karpova M, Getz G, Mane S, Garraway LA, Dummer R, Berger CL, Edelson RL, Girardi M: Characterization of the DNA copy-number genome in the blood of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma patients. J Invest Dermatol. 2012 Jan; 2011 Sep 1. PMID: 21881587
- Prasad S, Cody V, Saucier-Sawyer JK, Saltzman WM, Sasaki CT, Edelson RL, Birchall MA, Hanlon DJ: Polymer nanoparticles containing tumor lysates as antigen delivery vehicles for dendritic cell-based antitumor immunotherapy. Nanomedicine. 2011 Feb; 2010 Aug 6. PMID: 20692374
- Edelson RL: Outsmarting cutaneous T-cell lymphoma cells by decoding the language they speak: focusing past and present insights on future prospects. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2010 Sep. PMID: 20826398
- Kuo PH, McClennan BL, Carlson K, Wilson LD, Edelson RL, Heald PW, Girardi M: FDG-PET/CT in the evaluation of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Mol Imaging Biol. 2008 Mar-Apr; 2008 Jan 15. PMID: 18196347
- Shofner JD, Vasquez JG, Berger CL, Edelson RL: Improved generation of anti-tumor immunity by antigen dose limitation. J Immune Based Ther Vaccines. 2007 Feb 9; 2007 Feb 9. PMID: 17291350
- Girardi M, Berger CL, Wilson LD, Christensen IR, Thompson KR, Glusac EJ, Edelson RL: Transimmunization for cutaneous T cell lymphoma: a Phase I study. Leuk Lymphoma. 2006 Aug. PMID: 16966259
- Shen H, Ackerman AL, Cody V, Giodini A, Hinson ER, Cresswell P, Edelson RL, Saltzman WM, Hanlon DJ: Enhanced and prolonged cross-presentation following endosomal escape of exogenous antigens encapsulated in biodegradable nanoparticles. Immunology. 2006 Jan. PMID: 16423043
- Berger CL, Vasquez JG, Shofner J, Mariwalla K, Edelson RL: Langerhans cells: mediators of immunity and tolerance. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2006; 2006 Mar 29. PMID: 16697242
- Berger CL, Tigelaar R, Cohen J, Mariwalla K, Trinh J, Wang N, Edelson RL: Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma: malignant proliferation of T-regulatory cells. Blood. 2005 Feb 15; 2004 Oct 28. PMID: 15514008
- Berger CL, Mariwalla K, Girardi M, Edelson RL: Advances in understanding the immunobiology and immunotherapy of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Adv Dermatol. 2004. PMID: 15544202
- Berger CL, Edelson RL: Current concepts of the immunobiology and immunotherapy of cutaneous T cell lymphoma: insights gained through cross-talk between the clinic and the bench. Leuk Lymphoma. 2003 Oct. PMID: 14692521
- Berger CL, Hanlon D, Kanada D, Girardi M, Edelson RL: Transimmunization, a novel approach for tumor immunotherapy. Transfus Apher Sci. 2002 Jun. PMID: 12126207
- Girardi M, Berger C, Hanlon D, Edelson RL: Efficient tumor antigen loading of dendritic antigen presenting cells by transimmunization. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2002 Feb. PMID: 12614179