Yale Cancer Center delivers the highest quality patient-centered care, achieves breakthrough discoveries, and trains the future leaders in cancer science and medicine.
Research Excellence at Yale Cancer Center
• More than 300 cancer researchers on faculty
• 462,886 square feet of research space
• #12 in National Institutes of Health funding (YSM)
• #22 in National Cancer Institute funding
• $96 million in cancer research funding
• $26 million in funding from the National Cancer Institute
• 100 National Cancer Institute funded projects
• 17 members of the National Academy of Sciences
• 12 members of the Institute of Medicine
• 10 Howard Hughes Medical Investigators
• 3653 cancer research publications; 888 in high impact journals (July 2012-July 2018)
Patient Care at Smilow Cancer Hospital
• Connecticut’s largest provider of cancer care – treating more than 45% of the 20,000 patients diagnosed with cancer annually in the state
• 13 multidisciplinary cancer programs
• 168 inpatient beds, 12 operating rooms, 100 infusion chairs
• ~ 400 oncology nurses on staff
• 377,442 square feet of clinical space
• More than 300 open clinical trials providing the most advanced cancer therapies, including a state-of-the-art Phase I Clinical Trials Infusion Unit for patients on phase I trials.
• Specialty services – survivorship care, social work, prevention education, tobacco treatment, integrative medicine, pain management, Onco-dermatology service, Cardio-oncology service, support groups, cancer boutique, exercise & nutrition support, and such complementary services as therapeutic massage, relaxation imagery, Reiki touch, yoga, pet visitation, and art expression.
• Cancer Care Centers throughout Connecticut in Derby, Fairfield, Glastonbury, Guilford, Hamden, North Haven, Old Saybrook, Orange, Torrington, Trumbull, Waterbury, and Waterford, and locations at Greenwich Hospital and Saint Francis Hospital in Hartford