Smilow Cancer Hospital and our Smilow Cancer Hospital Care Centers are closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and are taking extra precautions to protect our patients and their families. Patients with cancer often have a weakened immune system, or are immunosuppressed, and are at an increased risk of infection, the flu, and other viruses.
To protect our patients and their families, Smilow Cancer Hospital and Care Centers are:
· Screening all patients for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
· Restricting visitors. One visitor per patient will be allowed during ambulatory appointments. Visitors must be age 18 and over and all visitors will be screened. Additional Yale New Haven Health visitation policies can be found online.
· Implementing Telehealth video appointments, when appropriate. Elective procedures and non-urgent, routine follow-up appointments have been postponed.
· Working with our colleagues at Yale New Haven Health to maintain a Call Center to answer questions about COVID-19. Please call (833) ASK-YNHH if you have specific questions or concerns about COVID-19.
All patients and their families should:
· Practice good hygiene, with increased hand washing.
· Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others.
· Limit non-essential travel.
· Call ahead your provider or Care Center to confirm your existing appointment. Please do not come to any of our facilities without an appointment.
· Notify your healthcare team if you have a scheduled appointment and have a fever or symptoms of a respiratory illness. You will be given further instructions.