- 8 slices of white bread or whole wheat bread, crust removed
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions (scallions), chopped
- 2 C broccoli florets
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ C skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 C nonfat plain yogurt
- ½ C grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange the bread along the bottom of a 3-quart oblong casserole dish or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, overlapping the slices slightly.
- In a small skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté the bacon, green onions, and broccoli over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Spread on top of the bread.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the effs, egg whites, skin milk and mustard; set aside. In a food processor, blend the yogurt, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, basil, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Pour into egg mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour over the bread and press the bread down to soak up the liquid.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 1 hour, or until browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Information per serving
• Calories 150, Protein (g) 12, Carbohydrates (g) 15, Fat (g) 5, Cal. from Fat (%) 29, Saturated fat (g) 2, Dietary fiber (g) 1, Cholesterol (mg) 97, Sodium (mg) 358
Recipe from Eating Well Through Cancer Easy Recipes and Recommendations During & After Treatment by Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello, M.D.