Sweet Potato Pound Cake
- ½ C margarine
- 1 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed, about 2 C
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 C flaked coconut
- ½ C coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- C confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until blended. Add the egg and egg whites, one at a time. Beating well after each addition. Mix in sweet potatoes and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange rind. Gradually spoon flour mixture into creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut and walnuts. Pour batter into a 10-inch Bundt pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick is inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, mix together orange juice and confectioners’ sugar to make a glaze. Spoon glaze over cake.
Nutrition Information per serving
• Calories 249, Protein (g) 4, Carbohydrate (g) 44, Fat (g) 7, Saturated fat (g) 2, Dietary fiber (g) 1, Cholesterol (mg) 13, Sodium (mg) 219
Recipe from Eating Well Through Cancer Easy Recipes and Recommendations During & After Treatment by Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello, M.D.