Rice Taco Salad
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ C finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 C cooked rice, white or brown
- 4 C mixed greens
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ C shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 C plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 C picante sauce
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook the beef/turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat, stirring to crumble, about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the meat is done. Drain any excess fat. Add the cumin, salt and pepper, and rice. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, cheese, and rice mixture. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt and picante sauce and toss with salad when serving.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Information per serving
• Calories 250, Protein (g) 21, Carbohydrates (g) 29, Saturated fat (g) 3, Dietary fiber (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 45, Sodium (mg) 243
Recipe from Eating Well Through Cancer Easy Recipes and Recommendations During & After Treatment by Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello, M.D.