Hearty Turkey Minestrone Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 C reduced-sodium chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ C small pasta like orzo or pastini
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a stockpot over medium heat, sauté the turkey/beef and onion until the turkey/beef is cooked through. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano and stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta, frozen spinach, and chickpeas/white beans and cook for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
14 servings (~1 C)
Nutrition Information per serving
• Calories 120, Fat (g) 1. Carbohydrate (g) 15, Fiber (g) 3, Sugar (g) 4, Protein (g) 13, Sodium (mg) 320