Barrett Esophagus; Bile Duct Neoplasms; Cholestasis, Extrahepatic; Biliary Tract Diseases; Biliary Tract Neoplasms; Cholangitis; Cholecystitis; Cholelithiasis; Cholestasis; Cholestasis, Intrahepatic; Colonic Neoplasms; Colorectal Neoplasms, Hereditary Nonpolyposis; Common Bile Duct Diseases; Common Bile Duct Neoplasms; Digestive System Abnormalities; Digestive System Diseases; Digestive System Neoplasms; Duodenal Neoplasms; Esophageal Cyst; Esophageal Diseases; Esophageal Fistula; Esophageal Neoplasms; Gallbladder Diseases; Gastric Fistula; Gastrointestinal Diseases; Gastrointestinal Neoplasms; Glucagonoma; Ileal Neoplasms; Intestinal Neoplasms; Pancreatic Cyst; Pancreatic Diseases; Pancreatic Fistula; Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency; Pancreatic Neoplasms; Pancreatic Pseudocyst; Rectal Neoplasms; Stomach Neoplasms; Colorectal Neoplasms; Cholangitis, Sclerosing; Gastrinoma; Choledochal Cyst; Carcinoma, Pancreatic Ductal; Cholecystolithiasis; Cholecystitis, Acute; Emphysematous Cholecystitis; Gallstones; Choledocholithiasis; Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors
Public Health Interests
Barrett's Esophagus; Biomarkers; Cancer; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer genetics; Cancer screening; Colorectal Cancer; Esophageal Cancer; Gastric Cancer; Pancreas Cancer
Extensive Research Description
Dr Farrell has leveraged his clinical expertise and activities as a practicing clinical gastroenterologist, board certified clinical pharmacologist, and interventional endoscopist to create a successful clinical and translational research program focused on pancreatic cancer in the areas of early pancreatic cancer diagnosis, pancreatic cystic neoplasms and pancreatic cancer therapeutics and pharmacogenomics.
1. Early Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer
In addition to studying potential salivary transcriptomic and bacterial biomarkers for early detection in pancreatic cancer, he was the UCLA-PI for CAPS3 and the Yale_PI for CAPS5, large prospective multicenter pancreatic cancer screening studies in at-risk individuals, and a member of the International Pancreatic Cancer Screening Consortium.
2. Pancreatic Cystic Neoplasms
Dr Farrell’s clinical and translational research work in the field of pancreatic cystic neoplasms has ranged from studies validating current clinical guidelines, to the development of clinically useful nomograms for patients with pancreatic cysts, to studies aimed at identifying novel pancreatic cyst fluid proteomic and microRNA biomarkers. To this end, he initiated and maintain a pancreatic cyst fluid biobank (2001 to present) which has now over 400 patient pancreatic cyst fluid specimens with clinical and pathologic correlation.
3. Pancreatic Cancer Therapeutics and Personalized Medicine
Most recently, Dr Farrell’s work in the field of pancreatic cancer therapeutics has included exploration of Endoscopic ultrasound guided tumor injection with gene therapy as well as the development and validation of treatment predictive pharmacogenomic markers in pancreatic cancer. In addition to his work looking at SNPs as predictive markers of treatment response and toxicity, in collaboration with the RTOG Co-operative trials group, he validated hENT1 (human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1) as a predictive marker of gemcitabine responsivity in pancreatic cancer. This has directly led to the development of a commercially available hENT1 based tissue assay and the first hENT1 biomarker driven multicenter treatment trial in pancreatic cancer.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Xu MM, Yin S, Siddiqui AA, Salem RR, Schrope B, Sethi A, Poneros JM, Gress FG, Genkinger JM, Do C, Brooks CA, Chabot JA, Kluger MD, Kowalski T, Loren DE, Aslanian H, Farrell JJ, Gonda TA: Comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of three current guidelines for the evaluation of asymptomatic pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017 Sep. PMID: 28858107
- Ooka K, Rustagi T, Evans A, Farrell JJ: Surveillance and Outcomes of Nonresected Presumed Branch-Duct Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms: A Meta-analysis. Pancreas. 2017 Aug. PMID: 28697134
- Farrell JJ: Editorial: Stopping Pancreatic Cyst Surveillance? Am J Gastroenterol. 2017 Jul. PMID: 28725064
- Farrell JJ: Pancreatic Cysts and Guidelines. Dig Dis Sci. 2017 Jul; 2017 May 20. PMID: 28528374
- Farrell JJ: Response to Del Chiaro et al. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017 May. PMID: 28469214
- Farrell JJ, Moughan J, Wong JL, Regine WF, Schaefer P, Benson AB 3rd, Macdonald JS, Liu X, Yen Y, Lai R, Zheng Z, Bepler G, Guha C, Elsaleh H: Precision Medicine and Pancreatic Cancer: A Gemcitabine Pathway Approach. Pancreas. 2016 Nov. PMID: 27748721
- Farrell JJ: Poking the Pancreas: When to Needle that Incidental Cyst. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Oct; 2016 Sep 13. PMID: 27619834
- Madhani K, Farrell JJ: Autoimmune Pancreatitis: An Update on Diagnosis and Management. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2016 Mar. PMID: 26895679
- Shin EJ, Topazian M, Goggins MG, Syngal S, Saltzman JR, Lee JH, Farrell JJ, Canto MI: Linear-array EUS improves detection of pancreatic lesions in high-risk individuals: a randomized tandem study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Nov; 2015 Apr 27. PMID: 25930097
- Farrell JJ: Prevalence, Diagnosis and Management of Pancreatic Cystic Neoplasms: Current Status and Future Directions. Gut Liver. 2015 Sep 23. PMID: 26343068
- Rustagi T, Farrell JJ: Endoscopic diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Nov-Dec. PMID: 24828360
- Farrell JJ, Toste P, Wu N, Li L, Wong J, Malkhassian D, Tran LM, Wu X, Li X, Dawson D, Wu H, Donahue TR: Endoscopically acquired pancreatic cyst fluid microRNA 21 and 221 are associated with invasive cancer. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013 Aug; 2013 Jun 11. PMID: 23752880
- Farrell JJ, Fernández-del Castillo C: Pancreatic cystic neoplasms: management and unanswered questions. Gastroenterology. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23622140