The Advanced Endoscopy Team at Smilow Cancer Hospital focuses on diseases of the pancreas, biliary tree, and the gastrointestinal tract. Patients with a variety of symptoms and diseases are evaluated, including those with pancreatitis, biliary strictures and stones, post-cholecystectomy complications, unexplained abdominal pain, and suspected gastrointestinal malignancies.
The interventional gastroenterologists at Yale have extensive experience in complex endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) procedures, including sphincter of Oddi (SO) manometry, endoscopic sphincterotomy of both biliary and pancreatic ducts, biliary and pancreatic stent insertion, stricture dilation, pseuodocyst drainage, and complex bile duct stone extractions.
The physicians also have a great deal of expertise in performing endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) with fine needle aspiration (FNA) of pancreatic masses, cysts, and lymph nodes. This highly sophisticated technique is utilized for the staging of malignancies of the esophagus, rectum, and pancreas. EUS-guided celiac plexus nerve block (neurolysis) for palliation of cancer-related pain is also performed.
The members of the Advanced Endoscopy team work closely with referring physicians to promptly perform procedures, consultations, and discuss management options. A multidisciplinary approach to complex patients includes discussions with pathologists, cytologists, surgeons, oncologists and radiologists.
Advanced Endoscopy Team Highlights
- EUS for diagnosis and staging of esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, rectal, and mediastinal cancers
- ERCP with cholangioscopy for bile duct strictures, bile duct stones or tumors
- ERCP with pancreatoscopy for pancreatic duct strictures, pancreatic duct stones as seen in chronic pancreatitis
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR) for early cancers
- Enteral Stenting
- Radiofrequency Ablation of dysplastic Barrett's esophagus
- Routine Colonoscopy and difficult polypectomy
- EUS with celiac nerve block for pancreatic cancer pain
- Sphincter of Oddi Manometry