Research & Publications
When it comes to treating fertility patients, Dr. Pasquale Patrizio believes, “you have to be a good listener.” As Director of the Yale Fertility Center and the Fertility Preservation Program, he works closely with each patient to develop a comprehensive plan that addresses his or her specific hopes and goals.
In November 2014, Dr. Patrizio was presented with the Hope Award for Advocacy by RESOLVE, The National Infertility Association. Dr. Patrizio, who is also a professor in the Ob/Gyn department at Yale School of Medicine, shares this award with his collaborator Josephine Johnston, a research scholar and director of research at The Hastings Center. The pair was honored by RESOLVE for their work to reduce risks associated with in vitro fertilization (IVF) and to increase patient access to infertility treatments.
Patrizio received his medical degree at the University of Naples in Italy and his Master of Science in Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania. He completed his residency in Ob/Gyn-Reproductive Endocrinology at the University of Naples and a second residency in Andrology-Male Reproduction at the University of Pisa in Pisa, Italy. Back in the United States, he completed a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology and a fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of California, Irvine.
While treatment of infertility (for both men and women) is his primary clinical interest, Dr. Patrizio also focuses on IVF/ICSI, egg donation, gestational surrogacy and preservation of fertility in cancer patients. Among his many research interests are whole ovary cryopreservation, oocyte (egg) freezing, methods to assess egg and embryo competence and ethical issues in assisted reproduction.
Dr. Patrizio is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and Andrology. He has published more than 400 scientific papers and four books including an Atlas textbook for assisted reproduction. He has lectured worldwide on various areas of reproductive medicine. In 2013, he was recognized in the top 1% of reproductive endocrinologists in the United States.
Education & Training
- MBEUniversity of Pennsylvania, Bioethics (2003)
- MDUniversity of Naples, Italy (1983)
- Post DoctoralUniversity of Pennsylvania
- FellowUniversity of California
- ResidentUniversity of California
- ResidentUniversita'Studi Pisa,Italy
- ResidentUniversita' Studi Napoli Federico II
- President, International Society Fertility PreservationUnited States (2015-2017)Coordinate activities (conferences, protocols for fertility preservation, tutoring, etc) with international colleagues across continents
- President, Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cells BiologyUnited States (2013-2015)Organize and supervise seminars, lectures and coordinate research projects for the special interest group of the american society of Reproductive Medicine
- Board member Friends of Low cost IVFMexico (2011-2016)International organization to provide (pro bono) assistance for reproduction to underdeveloped countries
- Assisted Reproduction and Italian law 40Rome, Italy 2009In an address to the Italian Parliament, Dr. Patrizio provided statistics showing that a 2004 Italian law that restricts in-vitro fertilization (IVF) practices is resulting in fewer pregnancies and higher rates of multiple births.
- Genetic Markers for Eggs' Developmental CapacityUnited Kingdom 2008Collaborates with Dagan Wells of Oxford University in a study aimed at identifying the reason that so few human eggs harvested during in vitro fertilization result in pregnancies. The study focuses on differences in gene activity among eggs at different stages of maturity.
Honors & Recognition
|ASRM STAR award||American Society Reproductive Medicine||2016|
|Honorary Visiting Professor,||Yangzhou University Hospital, Yangzhou, China||2015|
|Hope Award for Advocacy, Resolve||2014|
|Service award (20 years) and Star Award ASRM||ASRM||2013|
|Service award (20 years) and Star Award||ASRM||2013|
|Honorary membership||Peruvian Society OB/GYN, Lima, Peru||2013|
|Top 1% Reproductive Endocrinologist in USA||US World News Report||2013|
|Best Doctors in USA||Castle Connolly||2013|
|Top NY doctors and Most Compassionate||Connelly||2012|
|Honorary Membership||Italian Society of Fertility and Sterility (SIFES)||1991|
|Medical Engagement Committee-Yale Medicine, New Haven Hospital||2016 - Present|
|President, International Society Fertility Preservation (ISFP)||2015 - 2016|
|Special interest group Regenerative Medicine||Organizing Post Graduate course||2012|
|ESCRO||Reviewer ESCRO at YALE||2007 - 2014|