Gynecology; Immune System; Neoplasms; Ovarian Neoplasms; Pregnancy Complications; Reproductive Medicine
Led by Gil Mor, MD, PhD, the Reproductive Immunology Unit conducts studies that characterize the interaction between the immune system and reproductive organs. The focus is on two main areas of research: Immunology of Implantation: Studies are designed to understand immunological factors controlling the normal development of the trophoblast and its interaction with immune cells present at the implantation site. Studies are designed to understand the interaction between cancer cells and immune cells. A major focus of these studies is to understand the control of apoptosis in cancer cells and develop new therapeutic approaches that may reverse chemoresistance. We have developed a new test for the early detection of ovarian cancer based on a panel of known serum proteins associated with cancer biology. Each protein marker is analyzed using a routine ELISA assay, and the results evaluated using a score system.
In addition, the Unit has identified a sub-group of ovarian cancer patients, based on the expression of MyD88, which are resistant to Paclitaxel. The cancer cells of these patients express high levels of cytokines and chemokines and educate immune cells to promote tumor growth, angiogenesis and metastasis. The Unit has an Ovarian Cancer Tissue Bank that contains approximately 800 tissue samples of the primary and metastatic ovarian cancers as well as tissue samples from normal ovaries. In addition, as part of the NCI Ovarian Cancer Early Detection Program, the facility has in storage ascites and serum samples from patients with ovarian cancer and healthy age matched controls.
Specialized Terms: Immunology of Gynecologic tumors; Immunology of Implantation; Ovarian Cancer Stem Cells
Extensive Research Description
1) Immunology of Implantation: Studies are designed to understand immunological factors controlling the normal development of the trophoblast and its interaction with immune cells present at the implantation site. Our studies have identified the expression of Toll Like Receptors in trophoblast cells. These receptors allow the placenta to recognize and respond to any microorganism that may endanger the well being of the fetus.
We evaluate the effect of viral and bacterial infection on fetal development based on the type of response originated at the placenta.
2) Ovarian Cancer Translational Research laboratory” The major limitations in the treatment of ovarian cancer are:
i) the lack of an early detection tumor marker, and
ii) the resistance to chemotherapeutic agents. Presently there is no commercially available test that is diagnostic for either early or advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer. The most commonly used test, CA125, identifies a group of cell surface glycoproteins which have uncertain biological behavior and very limited clinical utility for the detection of early stage disease (less than 47% accuracy). Chemotherapy in the treatment of cancer was introduced into the clinical practice more than fifty years ago. Although this form of therapy has been successful for the treatment of some forms of cancer, it has not been the case for the majority of epithelial cancers of the breast, colon, lung and ovary. In addition, the collateral damage to normal cells, systemic toxicity due to lack of specificity, rapid drug metabolism, and acquired drug resistance are important clinical problems that have not been solved.
The objective of the translational research program is to resolve these limitations by:
1) Developing new markers for early detection
2) Identifying markers that can predict chemoresponse
3) Characterizing new therapeutic strategies for ovarian cancer
Developing new markers: We have reported the characterization and validation of a new test for the early detection of ovarian cancer in high-risk patients. The test has been licensed to Labcorp and is now commercially available as OvaSure. Additional studies are on going to determine the value of the biomarkers to monitor recurrence.
New therapies: We have isolated and characterized the ovarian cancer stem cells, which may represent the origin of recurrence. We identified a unique microRNA profile that differentiates these cells. One of these microRNA, mir-199A, is a major regulator of the NFkB pathway, and could be use as a target and a marker for differentiation. In addition, we have identified a new compound, which targets ovarian cancer stem cells by inhibiting the mTOR pathway. Immunology of Reproduction
1. TLRs and trophoblast response
2. Role of Dendritic cells and implantation
3. Effect of viral infection on fetal development
4. Trophoblast immune regulatory function
5. Inflammation and implantation
1. Apoptosis and cancer
2. Role of MyD88 in tumor renewal
3. Ovarian cancer stem cells
4. mir199 and regulation of IKK beta
5. Twist-1 and cancer stem cells
6. Inflammation and cancer stem cells differentiation
The unique immunological and microbial aspects of pregnancy.
Mor G, Aldo P, Alvero AB. The unique immunological and microbial aspects of pregnancy. Nature Reviews. Immunology 2017, 17:469-482.
Risks associated with viral infections during pregnancy.
Racicot K, Mor G. Risks associated with viral infections during pregnancy. The Journal Of Clinical Investigation 2017, 127:1591-1599.
Viral infection of the pregnant cervix predisposes to ascending bacterial infection.
Racicot K, Cardenas I, Wünsche V, Aldo P, Guller S, Means RE, Romero R, Mor G. Viral infection of the pregnant cervix predisposes to ascending bacterial infection. Journal Of Immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 2013, 191:934-41.
Constitutive proteasomal degradation of TWIST-1 in epithelial-ovarian cancer stem cells impacts differentiation and metastatic potential.
Yin G, Alvero AB, Craveiro V, Holmberg JC, Fu HH, Montagna MK, Yang Y, Chefetz-Menaker I, Nuti S, Rossi M, Silasi DA, Rutherford T, Mor G. Constitutive proteasomal degradation of TWIST-1 in epithelial-ovarian cancer stem cells impacts differentiation and metastatic potential. Oncogene 2013, 32:39-49.
Viral infection of the placenta leads to fetal inflammation and sensitization to bacterial products predisposing to preterm labor.
Cardenas I, Means RE, Aldo P, Koga K, Lang SM, Booth CJ, Manzur A, Oyarzun E, Romero R, Mor G. Viral infection of the placenta leads to fetal inflammation and sensitization to bacterial products predisposing to preterm labor. Journal Of Immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 2010, 185:1248-57.
Prevalence of epithelial ovarian cancer stem cells correlates with recurrence in early-stage ovarian cancer.
Steffensen KD, Alvero AB, Yang Y, Waldstrøm M, Hui P, Holmberg JC, Silasi DA, Jakobsen A, Rutherford T, Mor G. Prevalence of epithelial ovarian cancer stem cells correlates with recurrence in early-stage ovarian cancer. Journal Of Oncology 2011, 2011:620523.
Ovarian cancer stem cells and inflammation.
Mor G, Yin G, Chefetz I, Yang Y, Alvero A. Ovarian cancer stem cells and inflammation. Cancer Biology & Therapy 2011, 11:708-13.
Roles of Fas and Fas ligand during mammary gland remodeling.
Song J, Sapi E, Brown W, Nilsen J, Tartaro K, Kacinski BM, Craft J, Naftolin F, Mor G. Roles of Fas and Fas ligand during mammary gland remodeling. The Journal Of Clinical Investigation 2000, 106:1209-20.
Stem-like ovarian cancer cells can serve as tumor vascular progenitors.
Alvero AB, Fu HH, Holmberg J, Visintin I, Mor L, Marquina CC, Oidtman J, Silasi DA, Mor G. Stem-like ovarian cancer cells can serve as tumor vascular progenitors. Stem Cells (Dayton, Ohio) 2009, 27:2405-13.
NV-128, a novel isoflavone derivative, induces caspase-independent cell death through the Akt/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway.
Alvero AB, Montagna MK, Chen R, Kim KH, Kyungjin K, Visintin I, Fu HH, Brown D, Mor G. NV-128, a novel isoflavone derivative, induces caspase-independent cell death through the Akt/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway. Cancer 2009, 115:3204-16.
Toll-like receptors and pregnancy: trophoblast as modulators of the immune response.
Koga K, Aldo PB, Mor G. Toll-like receptors and pregnancy: trophoblast as modulators of the immune response. The Journal Of Obstetrics And Gynaecology Research 2009, 35:191-202.
Molecular phenotyping of human ovarian cancer stem cells unravels the mechanisms for repair and chemoresistance.
Alvero AB, Chen R, Fu HH, Montagna M, Schwartz PE, Rutherford T, Silasi DA, Steffensen KD, Waldstrom M, Visintin I, Mor G. Molecular phenotyping of human ovarian cancer stem cells unravels the mechanisms for repair and chemoresistance. Cell Cycle (Georgetown, Tex.) 2009, 8:158-66.
Uterine DCs are crucial for decidua formation during embryo implantation in mice.
Plaks V, Birnberg T, Berkutzki T, Sela S, BenYashar A, Kalchenko V, Mor G, Keshet E, Dekel N, Neeman M, Jung S. Uterine DCs are crucial for decidua formation during embryo implantation in mice. The Journal Of Clinical Investigation 2008, 118:3954-65.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Finger-Jardim F, Avila EC, da Hora VP, Santos PCD, Gonçalves CV, Mor G, de Martinez AMB, Soares MA: Herpes simplex virus type 2 IgG antibodies in sera of umbilical cord as a proxy for placental infection in asymptomatic pregnant women. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2018 Apr; 2018 Feb 10. PMID: 29427299
- Wang W, Wang R, Zhang Q, Mor G, Zhang H: Benzo(a)pyren-7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxide induces human trophoblast Swan 71 cell dysfunctions due to cell apoptosis through disorder of mitochondrial fission/fusion. Environ Pollut. 2018 Feb. PMID: 29144987
- Zhang T, Huang C, Du Y, Lian R, Mo M, Zeng Y, Mor G: Successful treatment with intrauterine delivery of dexamethasone for repeated implantation failure. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2017 Dec; 2017 Sep 16. PMID: 28921750
- Cross SN, Potter JA, Aldo P, Kwon JY, Pitruzzello M, Tong M, Guller S, Rothlin CV, Mor G, Abrahams VM: Viral Infection Sensitizes Human Fetal Membranes to Bacterial Lipopolysaccharide by MERTK Inhibition and Inflammasome Activation. J Immunol. 2017 Oct 15; 2017 Sep 15. PMID: 28916522
- Mor G: Reproductive immunology in Asia: An international collaboration. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2017 Aug. PMID: 28727255
- Mor G, Aldo P, Alvero AB: The unique immunological and microbial aspects of pregnancy. Nat Rev Immunol. 2017 Aug; 2017 Jun 19. PMID: 28627518
- Rauniyar N, Peng G, Lam TT, Zhao H, Mor G, Williams KR: Data-Independent Acquisition and Parallel Reaction Monitoring Mass Spectrometry Identification of Serum Biomarkers for Ovarian Cancer. Biomark Insights. 2017; 2017 Jun 5. PMID: 28615921
- Racicot K, Aldo P, El-Guindy A, Kwon JY, Romero R, Mor G: Cutting Edge: Fetal/Placental Type I IFN Can Affect Maternal Survival and Fetal Viral Load during Viral Infection. J Immunol. 2017 Apr 15; 2017 Mar 6. PMID: 28264970
- Cardenas C, Montagna MK, Pitruzzello M, Lima E, Mor G, Alvero AB: Adipocyte microenvironment promotes Bclxl expression and confers chemoresistance in ovarian cancer cells. Apoptosis. 2017 Apr. PMID: 28012060
- Reiter JL, Drendel HM, Chakraborty S, Schellinger MM, Lee MJ, Mor G: Cytogenetic features of human trophoblast cell lines SWAN-71 and 3A-subE. Placenta. 2017 Apr; 2017 Feb 13. PMID: 28454693
- Zambrano H, Waggoner J, León K, Pinsky B, Vera K, Schettino M, Rivera L, Landivar J, Granda M, Lee A, Mor G: High incidence of Zika virus infection detected in plasma and cervical cytology specimens from pregnant women in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2017 Feb. PMID: 28177195
- Alvero AB, Kim D, Lima E, Sumi NJ, Lee JS, Cardenas C, Pitruzzello M, Silasi DA, Buza N, Fahmy T, Mor G: Novel approach for the detection of intraperitoneal micrometastasis using an ovarian cancer mouse model. Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 25; 2017 Jan 25. PMID: 28120873
- Fu X, Li Y, Alvero A, Li J, Wu Q, Xiao Q, Peng Y, Hu Y, Li X, Yan W, Guo K, Zhou W, Wang Y, Liu J, Zhang Y, Mor G, Wen J, Yin G: MicroRNA-222-3p/GNAI2/AKT axis inhibits epithelial ovarian cancer cell growth and associates with good overall survival. Oncotarget. 2016 Dec 6. PMID: 27811362
- Roberts CM, Tran MA, Pitruzzello MC, Wen W, Loeza J, Dellinger TH, Mor G, Glackin CA: TWIST1 drives cisplatin resistance and cell survival in an ovarian cancer model, via upregulation of GAS6, L1CAM, and Akt signalling. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 23; 2016 Nov 23. PMID: 27876874
- Aldo P, You Y, Szigeti K, Horvath TL, Lindenbach B, Mor G: HSV-2 enhances ZIKV infection of the placenta and induces apoptosis in first-trimester trophoblast cells. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2016 Nov; 2016 Sep 10. PMID: 27613665
- Hu XH, Tang MX, Mor G, Liao AH: Tim-3: Expression on immune cells and roles at the maternal-fetal interface. J Reprod Immunol. 2016 Nov; 2016 Oct 20. PMID: 27792886
- Cardenas C, Alvero AB, Yun BS, Mor G: Redefining the origin and evolution of ovarian cancer: a hormonal connection. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 20. PMID: 27440787
- Tian M, Zhang Y, Liu Z, Sun G, Mor G, Liao A: The PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitory pathway is altered in pre-eclampsia and regulates T cell responses in pre-eclamptic rats. Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 9; 2016 Jun 9. PMID: 27277012
- Aldo P, Marusov G, Svancara D, David J, Mor G: Simple Plex(™) : A Novel Multi-Analyte, Automated Microfluidic Immunoassay Platform for the Detection of Human and Mouse Cytokines and Chemokines. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2016 Jun; 2016 May 11. PMID: 27170460
- Alvero AB, Heaton A, Lima E, Pitruzzello M, Sumi N, Yang-Hartwich Y, Cardenas C, Steinmacher S, Silasi DA, Brown D, Mor G: TRX-E-002-1 Induces c-Jun-Dependent Apoptosis in Ovarian Cancer Stem Cells and Prevents Recurrence In Vivo. Mol Cancer Ther. 2016 Jun; 2016 Apr 8. PMID: 27196760
- Mor G: Placental Inflammatory Response to Zika Virus may Affect Fetal Brain Development. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2016 Apr; 2016 Feb 19. PMID: 26892436
- Racicot K, Kwon JY, Aldo P, Abrahams V, El-Guindy A, Romero R, Mor G: Type I Interferon Regulates the Placental Inflammatory Response to Bacteria and is Targeted by Virus: Mechanism of Polymicrobial Infection-Induced Preterm Birth. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2016 Apr; 2016 Feb 19. PMID: 26892235
- Mor G, Kwon JY: Trophoblast-microbiome interaction: a new paradigm on immune regulation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Oct. PMID: 26428492
- Pan J, Mor G, Ju W, Zhong J, Luo X, Aldo PB, Zhong M, Yu Y, Jenkins EC, Brown WT, Zhong N: Viral Infection-Induced Differential Expression of LncRNAs Associated with Collagen in Mouse Placentas and Amniotic Sacs. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jun 13. PMID: 26073538
- Fraccaroli L, Grasso E, Hauk V, Paparini D, Soczewski E, Mor G, Pérez Leirós C, Ramhorst R: VIP boosts regulatory T cell induction by trophoblast cells in an in vitro model of trophoblast-maternal leukocyte interaction. J Leukoc Biol. 2015 Jul; 2015 Apr 15. PMID: 25877932
- PrabhuDas M, Bonney E, Caron K, Dey S, Erlebacher A, Fazleabas A, Fisher S, Golos T, Matzuk M, McCune JM, Mor G, Schulz L, Soares M, Spencer T, Strominger J, Way SS, Yoshinaga K: Immune mechanisms at the maternal-fetal interface: perspectives and challenges. Nat Immunol. 2015 Apr. PMID: 25789673
- Silasi M, Cardenas I, Kwon JY, Racicot K, Aldo P, Mor G: Viral infections during pregnancy. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 13. PMID: 25582523
- Young OM, Tang Z, Niven-Fairchild T, Tadesse S, Krikun G, Norwitz ER, Mor G, Abrahams VM, Guller S: Toll-like receptor-mediated responses by placental Hofbauer cells (HBCs): a potential pro-inflammatory role for fetal M2 macrophages. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2015 Jan; 2014 Oct 24. PMID: 25345551
- Yang-Hartwich Y, Romanoff E, Bingham J, Alvero AB, Mor G: Detection of p53 protein transcriptional activity by chromatin immunoprecipitation. Methods Mol Biol. 2015. PMID: 25308264
- Yang-Hartwich Y, Bingham J, Garofalo F, Alvero AB, Mor G: Detection of p53 protein aggregation in cancer cell lines and tumor samples. Methods Mol Biol. 2015. PMID: 25308263
- Sumi NJ, Lima E, Pizzonia J, Orton SP, Craveiro V, Joo W, Holmberg JC, Gurrea M, Yang-Hartwich Y, Alvero A, Mor G: Murine model for non-invasive imaging to detect and monitor ovarian cancer recurrence. J Vis Exp. 2014 Nov 2; 2014 Nov 2. PMID: 25407815
- Racicot KE, Wünsche V, Auerbach B, Aldo P, Silasi M, Mor G: Human chorionic gonadotropin enhances trophoblast-epithelial interaction in an in vitro model of human implantation. Reprod Sci. 2014 Oct; 2014 Feb 11. PMID: 24520082
- Alvero AB, Montagna MK, Sumi NJ, Joo WD, Graham E, Mor G: Multiple blocks in the engagement of oxidative phosphorylation in putative ovarian cancer stem cells: implication for maintenance therapy with glycolysis inhibitors. Oncotarget. 2014 Sep 30. PMID: 25237928
- Nuti SV, Mor G, Li P, Yin G: TWIST and ovarian cancer stem cells: implications for chemoresistance and metastasis. Oncotarget. 2014 Sep 15. PMID: 25238494
- Aldo PB, Racicot K, Craviero V, Guller S, Romero R, Mor G: Trophoblast induces monocyte differentiation into CD14+/CD16+ macrophages. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2014 Sep; 2014 Jul 3. PMID: 24995492
- Yang-Hartwich Y, Gurrea-Soteras M, Sumi N, Joo WD, Holmberg JC, Craveiro V, Alvero AB, Mor G: Ovulation and extra-ovarian origin of ovarian cancer. Sci Rep. 2014 Aug 19; 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 25135607
- Racicot K, Kwon JY, Aldo P, Silasi M, Mor G: Understanding the complexity of the immune system during pregnancy. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2014 Aug; 2014 Jul 4. PMID: 24995526
- Cohen-Fredarow A, Tadmor A, Raz T, Meterani N, Addadi Y, Nevo N, Solomonov I, Sagi I, Mor G, Neeman M, Dekel N: Ovarian dendritic cells act as a double-edged pro-ovulatory and anti-inflammatory sword. Mol Endocrinol. 2014 Jul; 2014 May 13. PMID: 24825398
- Kwon JY, Romero R, Mor G: New insights into the relationship between viral infection and pregnancy complications. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2014 May; 2014 Apr 7. PMID: 24702790
- Grasso E, Paparini D, Agüero M, Mor G, Pérez Leirós C, Ramhorst R: VIP contribution to the decidualization program: regulatory T cell recruitment. J Endocrinol. 2014 Apr; 2014 Mar 13. PMID: 24492467
- Mor G: The American Journal of Reproductive Immunology: last printed issue. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24238106
- Craveiro V, Yang-Hartwich Y, Holmberg JC, Joo WD, Sumi NJ, Pizzonia J, Griffin B, Gill SK, Silasi DA, Azodi M, Rutherford T, Alvero AB, Mor G: Phenotypic modifications in ovarian cancer stem cells following Paclitaxel treatment. Cancer Med. 2013 Dec; 2013 Aug 27. PMID: 24403249
- Joo WD, Visintin I, Mor G: Targeted cancer therapy--are the days of systemic chemotherapy numbered? Maturitas. 2013 Dec; 2013 Sep 20. PMID: 24128673
- Racicot K, Cardenas I, Wünsche V, Aldo P, Guller S, Means RE, Romero R, Mor G: Viral infection of the pregnant cervix predisposes to ascending bacterial infection. J Immunol. 2013 Jul 15; 2013 Jun 10. PMID: 23752614
- Aldo PB, Craveiro V, Guller S, Mor G: Effect of culture conditions on the phenotype of THP-1 monocyte cell line. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2013 Jul; 2013 Apr 29. PMID: 23621670
- Chefetz I, Alvero AB, Holmberg JC, Lebowitz N, Craveiro V, Yang-Hartwich Y, Yin G, Squillace L, Gurrea Soteras M, Aldo P, Mor G: TLR2 enhances ovarian cancer stem cell self-renewal and promotes tumor repair and recurrence. Cell Cycle. 2013 Feb 1; 2013 Jan 16. PMID: 23324344
- Mor G, Alvero A: The duplicitous origin of ovarian cancer. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2013 Jan; 2013 Jan 30. PMID: 23908856
- Silasi M, Mor G: Decidual stromal cells as regulators of T-cell access to the maternal-fetal interface. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 31. PMID: 22935072
- Alvero AB, Montagna MK, Craveiro V, Liu L, Mor G: Distinct subpopulations of epithelial ovarian cancer cells can differentially induce macrophages and T regulatory cells toward a pro-tumor phenotype. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012 Mar; 2011 Sep 14. PMID: 21917055
- Holmberg JC, Haddad S, Wünsche V, Yang Y, Aldo PB, Gnainsky Y, Granot I, Dekel N, Mor G: An in vitro model for the study of human implantation. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012 Feb; 2011 Dec 12. PMID: 22151560
- Tang Z, Tadesse S, Norwitz E, Mor G, Abrahams VM, Guller S: Isolation of hofbauer cells from human term placentas with high yield and purity. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Oct; 2011 May 4. PMID: 21545365
- Merk M, Zierow S, Leng L, Das R, Du X, Schulte W, Fan J, Lue H, Chen Y, Xiong H, Chagnon F, Bernhagen J, Lolis E, Mor G, Lesur O, Bucala R: The D-dopachrome tautomerase (DDT) gene product is a cytokine and functional homolog of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Aug 23; 2011 Aug 4. PMID: 21817065
- Alvero AB, Montagna MK, Holmberg JC, Craveiro V, Brown D, Mor G: Targeting the mitochondria activates two independent cell death pathways in ovarian cancer stem cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011 Aug; 2011 Jun 15. PMID: 21677151
- Chefetz I, Holmberg JC, Alvero AB, Visintin I, Mor G: Inhibition of Aurora-A kinase induces cell cycle arrest in epithelial ovarian cancer stem cells by affecting NFĸB pathway. Cell Cycle. 2011 Jul 1; 2011 Jul 1. PMID: 21623171
- Hanlon DJ, Aldo PB, Devine L, Alvero AB, Engberg AK, Edelson R, Mor G: Enhanced stimulation of anti-ovarian cancer CD8(+) T cells by dendritic cells loaded with nanoparticle encapsulated tumor antigen. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Jun; 2011 Jan 18. PMID: 21241402
- Mor G, Yin G, Chefetz I, Yang Y, Alvero A: Ovarian cancer stem cells and inflammation. Cancer Biol Ther. 2011 Apr 15; 2011 Apr 15. PMID: 21317559
- Leizer AL, Alvero AB, Fu HH, Holmberg JC, Cheng YC, Silasi DA, Rutherford T, Mor G: Regulation of inflammation by the NF-κB pathway in ovarian cancer stem cells. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Apr; 2010 Sep 6. PMID: 20825380
- Tang Z, Abrahams VM, Mor G, Guller S: Placental Hofbauer cells and complications of pregnancy. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011 Mar. PMID: 21401637
- Mor G, Cardenas I, Abrahams V, Guller S: Inflammation and pregnancy: the role of the immune system at the implantation site. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011 Mar. PMID: 21401634
- Cardenas I, Mor G, Aldo P, Lang SM, Stabach P, Sharp A, Romero R, Mazaki-Tovi S, Gervasi M, Means RE: Placental viral infection sensitizes to endotoxin-induced pre-term labor: a double hit hypothesis. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Feb; 2010 Aug 13. PMID: 20712808
- Cardenas I, Means RE, Aldo P, Koga K, Lang SM, Booth CJ, Manzur A, Oyarzun E, Romero R, Mor G: Viral infection of the placenta leads to fetal inflammation and sensitization to bacterial products predisposing to preterm labor. J Immunol. 2010 Jul 15; 2010 Jun 16. PMID: 20554966
- Cocco E, Casagrande F, Bellone S, Richter CE, Bellone M, Todeschini P, Holmberg JC, Fu HH, Montagna MK, Mor G, Schwartz PE, Arin-Silasi D, Azoudi M, Rutherford TJ, Abu-Khalaf M, Pecorelli S, Santin AD: Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin carboxy-terminal fragment is a novel tumor-homing peptide for human ovarian cancer. BMC Cancer. 2010 Jul 2; 2010 Jul 2. PMID: 20598131
- Peng B, Koga K, Cardenas I, Aldo P, Mor G: Phagocytosis of apoptotic trophoblast cells by human endometrial endothelial cells induces proinflammatory cytokine production. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2010 Jul 1; 2010 Mar 4. PMID: 20219062
- Aldo PB, Mulla MJ, Romero R, Mor G, Abrahams VM: Viral ssRNA induces first trimester trophoblast apoptosis through an inflammatory mechanism. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2010 Jul 1; 2010 Feb 17. PMID: 20175771
- Mor G, Cardenas I: The immune system in pregnancy: a unique complexity. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2010 Jun; 2010 Mar 29. PMID: 20367629
- Straszewski-Chavez SL, Abrahams VM, Aldo PB, Romero R, Mor G: AKT controls human first trimester trophoblast cell sensitivity to FAS-mediated apoptosis by regulating XIAP expression. Biol Reprod. 2010 Jan; 2009 Sep 2. PMID: 19726736
- Alvero AB, Fu HH, Holmberg J, Visintin I, Mor L, Marquina CC, Oidtman J, Silasi DA, Mor G: Stem-like ovarian cancer cells can serve as tumor vascular progenitors. Stem Cells. 2009 Oct. PMID: 19658191
- Green JM, Alvero AB, Kohen F, Mor G: 7-(O)-Carboxymethyl daidzein conjugated to N-t-Boc-hexylenediamine: a novel compound capable of inducing cell death in epithelial ovarian cancer stem cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009 Sep; 2009 Sep 17. PMID: 19738422
- Kim KH, Xie Y, Tytler EM, Woessner R, Mor G, Alvero AB: KSP inhibitor ARRY-520 as a substitute for Paclitaxel in Type I ovarian cancer cells. J Transl Med. 2009 Jul 20; 2009 Jul 20. PMID: 19619321
- Alvero AB, Montagna MK, Chen R, Kim KH, Kyungjin K, Visintin I, Fu HH, Brown D, Mor G: NV-128, a novel isoflavone derivative, induces caspase-independent cell death through the Akt/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway. Cancer. 2009 Jul 15. PMID: 19472400
- Silasi DA, Alvero AB, Rutherford TJ, Brown D, Mor G: Phenoxodiol: pharmacology and clinical experience in cancer monotherapy and in combination with chemotherapeutic drugs. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009 Apr. PMID: 19364253
- Koga K, Aldo PB, Mor G: Toll-like receptors and pregnancy: trophoblast as modulators of the immune response. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2009 Apr. PMID: 19335792
- Koga K, Cardenas I, Aldo P, Abrahams VM, Peng B, Fill S, Romero R, Mor G: Activation of TLR3 in the trophoblast is associated with preterm delivery. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2009 Mar. PMID: 19239422
- Kim K, Visintin I, Alvero AB, Mor G: Development and validation of a protein-based signature for the detection of ovarian cancer. Clin Lab Med. 2009 Mar. PMID: 19389550
- Alvero AB, Chen R, Fu HH, Montagna M, Schwartz PE, Rutherford T, Silasi DA, Steffensen KD, Waldstrom M, Visintin I, Mor G: Molecular phenotyping of human ovarian cancer stem cells unravels the mechanisms for repair and chemoresistance. Cell Cycle. 2009 Jan 1. PMID: 19158483
- Li H, Wang J, Mor G, Sklar J: A neoplastic gene fusion mimics trans-splicing of RNAs in normal human cells. Science. 2008 Sep 5. PMID: 18772439
- Alvero AB, Kelly M, Rossi P, Leiser A, Brown D, Rutherford T, Mor G: Anti-tumor activity of phenoxodiol: from bench to clinic. Future Oncol. 2008 Aug. PMID: 18684059
- Abrahams VM, Aldo PB, Murphy SP, Visintin I, Koga K, Wilson G, Romero R, Sharma S, Mor G: TLR6 modulates first trimester trophoblast responses to peptidoglycan. J Immunol. 2008 May 1. PMID: 18424724
- Mor G, Koga K: Macrophages and pregnancy. Reprod Sci. 2008 May. PMID: 18579852
- Guller S, Ma YY, Fu HH, Krikun G, Abrahams VM, Mor G: The placental syncytium and the pathophysiology of preeclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction: a novel assay to assess syncytial protein expression. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18443340
- Mor G: Inflammation and pregnancy: the role of toll-like receptors in trophoblast-immune interaction. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18443339
- Koga K, Mor G: Expression and function of toll-like receptors at the maternal-fetal interface. Reprod Sci. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18421019
- Zhang K, Wang Q, Xie Y, Mor G, Sega E, Low PS, Huang Y: Receptor-mediated delivery of siRNAs by tethered nucleic acid base-paired interactions. RNA. 2008 Mar; 2008 Jan 24. PMID: 18218703
- Visintin I, Feng Z, Longton G, Ward DC, Alvero AB, Lai Y, Tenthorey J, Leiser A, Flores-Saaib R, Yu H, Azori M, Rutherford T, Schwartz PE, Mor G: Diagnostic markers for early detection of ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Feb 15; 2008 Feb 7. PMID: 18258665
- Alvero AB, Montagna MK, Mor G: Correlation of caspase activity and in vitro chemo-response in epithelial ovarian cancer cell lines. Methods Mol Biol. 2008. PMID: 18175813
- Silasi DA, Alvero AB, Mor J, Chen R, Fu HH, Montagna MK, Mor G: Detection of cancer-related proteins in fresh-frozen ovarian cancer samples using laser capture microdissection. Methods Mol Biol. 2008. PMID: 18175810
- Mor G, Montagna MK, Alvero AB: Modulation of apoptosis to reverse chemoresistance. Methods Mol Biol. 2008. PMID: 18175807
- Smith S, Su D, Rigault de la Longrais IA, Schwartz P, Puopolo M, Rutherford TJ, Mor G, Yu H, Katsaros D: ERCC1 genotype and phenotype in epithelial ovarian cancer identify patients likely to benefit from paclitaxel treatment in addition to platinum-based therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Nov 20. PMID: 18024864
- Hudson ME, Pozdnyakova I, Haines K, Mor G, Snyder M: Identification of differentially expressed proteins in ovarian cancer using high-density protein microarrays. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Oct 30; 2007 Oct 22. PMID: 17954908
- Aldo PB, Krikun G, Visintin I, Lockwood C, Romero R, Mor G: A novel three-dimensional in vitro system to study trophoblast-endothelium cell interactions. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2007 Aug. PMID: 17631003
- Koga K, Mor G: Toll-like receptors and pregnancy. Reprod Sci. 2007 May. PMID: 17644801
- Straszewski-Chavez SL, Visintin IP, Karassina N, Los G, Liston P, Halaban R, Fadiel A, Mor G: XAF1 mediates tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced apoptosis and X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis cleavage by acting through the mitochondrial pathway. J Biol Chem. 2007 Apr 27; 2007 Feb 28. PMID: 17329253
- Agarwal R, Whang DH, Alvero AB, Visintin I, Lai Y, Segal EA, Schwartz P, Ward D, Rutherford T, Mor G: Macrophage migration inhibitory factor expression in ovarian cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17403417
- Alvero AB, Brown D, Montagna M, Matthews M, Mor G: Phenoxodiol-Topotecan co-administration exhibit significant anti-tumor activity without major adverse side effects. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17457041
- Chen R, Alvero AB, Silasi DA, Mor G: Inflammation, cancer and chemoresistance: taking advantage of the toll-like receptor signaling pathway. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2007 Feb. PMID: 17217363
- Kluger HM, McCarthy MM, Alvero AB, Sznol M, Ariyan S, Camp RL, Rimm DL, Mor G: The X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP) is up-regulated in metastatic melanoma, and XIAP cleavage by Phenoxodiol is associated with Carboplatin sensitization. J Transl Med. 2007 Jan 26; 2007 Jan 26. PMID: 17257402
- Silasi DA, Alvero AB, Illuzzi J, Kelly M, Chen R, Fu HH, Schwartz P, Rutherford T, Azodi M, Mor G: MyD88 predicts chemoresistance to paclitaxel in epithelial ovarian cancer. Yale J Biol Med. 2006 Dec. PMID: 17940625
- Abrahams VM, Schaefer TM, Fahey JV, Visintin I, Wright JA, Aldo PB, Romero R, Wira CR, Mor G: Expression and secretion of antiviral factors by trophoblast cells following stimulation by the TLR-3 agonist, Poly(I : C). Hum Reprod. 2006 Sep; 2006 Jun 3. PMID: 16751646
- Mor G, Fu HH, Alvero AB: Phenoxodiol, a novel approach for the treatment of ovarian cancer. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2006 Jun. PMID: 16784025
- Kelly MG, Alvero AB, Chen R, Silasi DA, Abrahams VM, Chan S, Visintin I, Rutherford T, Mor G: TLR-4 signaling promotes tumor growth and paclitaxel chemoresistance in ovarian cancer. Cancer Res. 2006 Apr 1. PMID: 16585214
- Alvero AB, O'Malley D, Brown D, Kelly G, Garg M, Chen W, Rutherford T, Mor G: Molecular mechanism of phenoxodiol-induced apoptosis in ovarian carcinoma cells. Cancer. 2006 Feb 1. PMID: 16388521
- Alvero AB, Chen W, Sartorelli AC, Schwartz P, Rutherford T, Mor G: Triapine (3-aminopyridine-2-carboxaldehyde thiosemicarbazone) induces apoptosis in ovarian cancer cells. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2006 Feb. PMID: 16443509
- Ma Y, Mor G, Abrahams VM, Buhimschi IA, Buhimschi CS, Guller S: Alterations in syncytiotrophoblast cytokine expression following treatment with lipopolysaccharide. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2006 Jan. PMID: 16364007
- Mor G, Straszewski-Chavez SL, Abrahams VM: Macrophage-trophoblast interactions. Methods Mol Med. 2006. PMID: 16511980
- Krikun G, Mor G, Lockwood C: The immortalization of human endometrial cells. Methods Mol Med. 2006. PMID: 16251735
- Abrahams VM, Visintin I, Aldo PB, Guller S, Romero R, Mor G: A role for TLRs in the regulation of immune cell migration by first trimester trophoblast cells. J Immunol. 2005 Dec 15. PMID: 16339547
- Straszewski-Chavez SL, Abrahams VM, Mor G: The role of apoptosis in the regulation of trophoblast survival and differentiation during pregnancy. Endocr Rev. 2005 Dec; 2005 May 18. PMID: 15901666
- Wang CX, Koay DC, Edwards A, Lu Z, Mor G, Ocal IT, Digiovanna MP: In vitro and in vivo effects of combination of Trastuzumab (Herceptin) and Tamoxifen in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005 Aug. PMID: 16155796
- Mor G, Visintin I, Lai Y, Zhao H, Schwartz P, Rutherford T, Yue L, Bray-Ward P, Ward DC: Serum protein markers for early detection of ovarian cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 May 24; 2005 May 12. PMID: 15890779
- Mor G, Romero R, Aldo PB, Abrahams VM: Is the trophoblast an immune regulator? The role of Toll-like receptors during pregnancy. Crit Rev Immunol. 2005. PMID: 16167887
- Abrahams VM, Bole-Aldo P, Kim YM, Straszewski-Chavez SL, Chaiworapongsa T, Romero R, Mor G: Divergent trophoblast responses to bacterial products mediated by TLRs. J Immunol. 2004 Oct 1. PMID: 15383557
- Zhang JX, Labaree DC, Mor G, Hochberg RB: Estrogen to antiestrogen with a single methylene group resulting in an unusual steroidal selective estrogen receptor modulator. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jul. PMID: 15240642
- Krikun G, Mor G, Alvero A, Guller S, Schatz F, Sapi E, Rahman M, Caze R, Qumsiyeh M, Lockwood CJ: A novel immortalized human endometrial stromal cell line with normal progestational response. Endocrinology. 2004 May; 2004 Jan 15. PMID: 14726435
- Flick MB, O'Malley D, Rutherford T, Rodov S, Kamsteeg M, Hao XY, Schwartz P, Kacinski BM, Mor G: Apoptosis-based evaluation of chemosensitivity in ovarian cancer patients. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2004 May. PMID: 15120700
- Abrahams VM, Kim YM, Straszewski SL, Romero R, Mor G: Macrophages and apoptotic cell clearance during pregnancy. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2004 Apr. PMID: 15212680
- Abrahams VM, Straszewski-Chavez SL, Guller S, Mor G: First trimester trophoblast cells secrete Fas ligand which induces immune cell apoptosis. Mol Hum Reprod. 2004 Jan. PMID: 14665707
- Straszewski-Chavez SL, Abrahams VM, Funai EF, Mor G: X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis (XIAP) confers human trophoblast cell resistance to Fas-mediated apoptosis. Mol Hum Reprod. 2004 Jan. PMID: 14665704
- Sapi E, Alvero AB, Chen W, O'Malley D, Hao XY, Dwipoyono B, Garg M, Kamsteeg M, Rutherford T, Mor G: Resistance of ovarian carcinoma cells to docetaxel is XIAP dependent and reversible by phenoxodiol. Oncol Res. 2004. PMID: 15666998
- Mor G, Abrahams VM: Potential role of macrophages as immunoregulators of pregnancy. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2003 Dec 2; 2003 Dec 2. PMID: 14651752
- Wu B, Abbott T, Fishman D, McMurray W, Mor G, Stone K, Ward D, Williams K, Zhao H: Comparison of statistical methods for classification of ovarian cancer using mass spectrometry data. Bioinformatics. 2003 Sep 1. PMID: 12967959
- Abrahams VM, Straszewski SL, Kamsteeg M, Hanczaruk B, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Mor G: Epithelial ovarian cancer cells secrete functional Fas ligand. Cancer Res. 2003 Sep 1. PMID: 14500397
- Abrahams VM, Kamsteeg M, Mor G: The Fas/Fas ligand system and cancer: immune privilege and apoptosis. Mol Biotechnol. 2003 Sep. PMID: 13679631
- Chu MC, Mor G, Lim C, Zheng W, Parkash V, Schwartz PE: Low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma: hormonal aspects. Gynecol Oncol. 2003 Jul. PMID: 12821359
- Kamsteeg M, Rutherford T, Sapi E, Hanczaruk B, Shahabi S, Flick M, Brown D, Mor G: Phenoxodiol--an isoflavone analog--induces apoptosis in chemoresistant ovarian cancer cells. Oncogene. 2003 May 1. PMID: 12730675
- Wang S, Pudney J, Song J, Mor G, Schwartz PE, Zheng W: Mechanisms involved in the evolution of progestin resistance in human endometrial hyperplasia--precursor of endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2003 Feb. PMID: 12586588
- Mor G, Sapi E, Abrahams VM, Rutherford T, Song J, Hao XY, Muzaffar S, Kohen F: Interaction of the estrogen receptors with the Fas ligand promoter in human monocytes. J Immunol. 2003 Jan 1. PMID: 12496390
- Mor G, Straszewski S, Kamsteeg M: Role of the Fas/Fas ligand system in female reproductive organs: survival and apoptosis. Biochem Pharmacol. 2002 Nov 1. PMID: 12392813
- Sapi E, Brown WD, Aschkenazi S, Lim C, Munoz A, Kacinski BM, Rutherford T, Mor G: Regulation of Fas ligand expression by estrogen in normal ovary. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2002 Jul-Aug. PMID: 12113885
- Mor G, Straszewski S, Kamsteeg M: The Fas/FasL system in reproduction: survival and apoptosis. ScientificWorldJournal. 2002 Jun 29; 2002 Jun 29. PMID: 12920321
- Aschkenazi S, Straszewski S, Verwer KM, Foellmer H, Rutherford T, Mor G: Differential regulation and function of the Fas/Fas ligand system in human trophoblast cells. Biol Reprod. 2002 Jun. PMID: 12021072
- Song J, Rutherford T, Naftolin F, Brown S, Mor G: Hormonal regulation of apoptosis and the Fas and Fas ligand system in human endometrial cells. Mol Hum Reprod. 2002 May. PMID: 11994542